ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   KTM 990 Adventure Problem With Ralenti (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914177)

Decepticon 08-23-2013 07:50 PM

KTM 990 Adventure Problem With Ralenti

Hi Everyone!

I am new in this page and I wanted to start posting with a different topic, but my anxiety grew stronger than my patience.

Last friday I left my KaTy M. in the garaje, aproximately 30 km before gas reserve signal. Wednesday I came back to ride it but the bike was very hard to start. If i gassed it, it ran, but she could not sustain the engine running at ralenti, at 1500 RPM.

I could make it to my job with her, turning off at every traffic light. I drove enough to need a gas fill . When I stopped to refill (only one tank) I moved the wires and connectors of the gas pump. I restarted it and she sustained ralenti at 1000 RPM. I filled the tank and ran away.

But the problem wasn´t that. The battery died because of the multiple start overs and traffic lights in the city. The electrician doesn´t know what the problem should be, and I think he is too lazy to discover. I want to do it myself.

Things you should know: In my country the best gas is 92 octane, and regular is 87. I fill it indistinctively with both and the performance is the same. The Injection mapping is disconnected to deal with that thrashy gas here.

Thanks for any hint.

Deuce 08-23-2013 08:37 PM

Most likely you need new fuel filters. In the left tank. How many KM's on your bike? :1drink

jfink 08-23-2013 08:50 PM

Fuel filters, exactly the problem. I had the same problem in Argentina and then again in Colombia in Cucuta. It gets expensive replacing these filters.

Decepticon 08-23-2013 09:04 PM

47000 km. But why Doesn´t the FI Sensor appears in the display? if the pump is clogged, the pressure is not the adequate and the fuel injection should not work properly

Peanuts 08-24-2013 09:14 AM

There is no fuel pressure meter in the fuel line............. so the Fi system does not know the pressure is low....... so there is no code for low pressure.

Decepticon 08-24-2013 12:24 PM

Another option?

I did a cleaning/checking operation on the fuel pump. Nothing seems to be clogged or damaged. There was dirt in the base, but nothing out of normal.

The engine now starts well, most of the times. But when riding, the bike looses the notion of ralenti and turns off. If I turn the switch or restart the system with the STOP ENGINE Button, the bike returns to normal, apparently.

I think I have to send her to a scan in a KTM autorized service.

Deuce 08-24-2013 06:17 PM

One more time!

Fuel filters :ear :1drink

johnyred 08-25-2013 01:44 PM

Probably bad TPS
Look at this thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701742

Decepticon 08-29-2013 02:15 PM

It is not the fuel pump. Mechanic just checked that

Today or maybe tomorrow the guy who charges a lot for his work shall tell me the real problem.

Thanks guys for the help. I will inform you

Decepticon 09-03-2013 02:56 PM

HELP MEEEE!!! I have no patience with authorized service Dealers

Summing up:

1. Checked Battery.
2. Checked Battery Charger.
3. Checked Fuel Pump twice, one by me, second by the Mechanic.

Next steps done by mechanic
4. TPS adjusted. Reassembling. Test drive. She doesn´t stall, but accelerates with no throttle. Very dangerous.
5. TPS re-adjusted. Same step 4.

He´s going to prove another TPS (finally!! what took him so long?)

As I advised, he is going to check on the clutch sensor.

THE QUESTION IS: If all of that thingies are good, What should I be loooking for and where? A priest, a Shaman? a dwarf inside the ECU?

Is like this problem thread, but after re-adjusting of TPS is not anymore:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=13

bikyto 09-03-2013 03:50 PM

It seems that your stepper motor is going crazy. A throttle body swap might just fix the problem. Or you could change the stepper...

Katoom72 09-03-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decepticon (Post 22246417)
Summing up:

1. Checked Battery.
2. Checked Battery Charger.
3. Checked Fuel Pump twice, one by me, second by the Mechanic.

Next steps done by mechanic
4. TPS adjusted. Reassembling. Test drive. She doesn´t stall, but accelerates with no throttle. Very dangerous.
5. TPS re-adjusted. Same step 4.

He´s going to prove another TPS (finally!! what took him so long?)

As I advised, he is going to check on the clutch sensor.

THE QUESTION IS: If all of that thingies are good, What should I be loooking for and where? A priest, a Shaman? a dwarf inside the ECU?

Is like this problem thread, but after re-adjusting of TPS is not anymore:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=13

No need to play World of Warcraft to repair a 990. Did the dealer (or you) check the stepper motor? Is the bike accelerating fast like you pull the throttle or is the rpm rising slowly?

edit: seems the person above me thinks about the same problem. :rofl

Decepticon 09-04-2013 04:09 PM

Stepper Motor

When you release the throttle the bike stays at 3000 RPM and then slowly lowers down to idle. just when riding. otherwise is good

bikyto 09-04-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decepticon (Post 22255139)
When you release the throttle the bike stays at 3000 RPM and then slowly lowers down to idle. just when riding. otherwise is good

The stepper motor is on the throttle body and it sounds like it's the culprit to me at this point

shawty950 09-04-2013 08:20 PM

Using Tuneecu, ON my 07, when I stuff with the TPS, I have to do the "Adjust Throttle Cable" on the "Tests" tab, double click to reset the stepper motor otherwise it does as you have described. ie Idles OK, then when riding sits on 4000rpm...when you pul the clutch it takes about 10 - 20 seconds for the idle to come down again.

If you do not have TuneECU then the KTM diagnostic tool should have the same procedure.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:47 AM.