ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GS Boxers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   hid removal (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921323)

cueball 09-20-2013 03:05 PM

hid removal

i recently acquired a 2007 1200gs that has had both headlight beams converted to hid. the bulbs are way too far into the blue spectrum for me & don't really do a good job at night. my first thought is to go back to h7 lighting if not too involved or to go to hid bulbs that are more in the white (& more effective) spectrum. will the existing ballasts work with a whiter bulb?? what is most likely involved with returning to stock??

thanks in advance for any help!!

frank

jzeiler 09-20-2013 05:10 PM

Most of the kits now are very easy to reverse as they are mostly "plug and play" with connectors. I like the light from a 4300K bulb the best and the ballasts are independent of the bulb color temperature. If you have never messed with them there is a good pictorial post in here some where showing the install. Just have to hunt it down with a search.

Link to the thread for installation

GP1200 09-20-2013 05:13 PM

Only thing you have to do is buy the two plastic screw- in caps which were likely drilled open to fit the HID rubber bushings. I think they're $5 each at BMW. Everything else should be attached by plastic ties. Cut them off and remove.

Twilight Error 09-21-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball (Post 22377342)
i recently acquired a 2007 1200gs that has had both headlight beams converted to hid. the bulbs are way too far into the blue spectrum for me & don't really do a good job at night. my first thought is to go back to h7 lighting if not too involved or to go to hid bulbs that are more in the white (& more effective) spectrum. will the existing ballasts work with a whiter bulb?? what is most likely involved with returning to stock??

thanks in advance for any help!!

frank

The ballasts will work with any color bulb, you've just got to pay attention to watt ratings. Lower temperature HID = less blue light. I've got 4500k bulbs in my GS, they match my LED aux lamps well and provide LOTS of usable light.

If you decide to revert to Halogen, you'll probably just need the caps that fit over the back of the lamp assemblies.

JimVonBaden 09-21-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Error (Post 22380558)
The ballasts will work with any color bulb, you've just got to pay attention to watt ratings. Lower temperature HID = less blue light. I've got 4500k bulbs in my GS, they match my LED aux lamps well and provide LOTS of usable light.

If you decide to revert to Halogen, you'll probably just need the caps that fit over the back of the lamp assemblies.

Exactly correct. I have the 4300 HID and while whiter, not at all blue.

Cups are $5, or tape them over with black gaffers tape or electrical tape.

Jim :brow

Iron Rey 09-21-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 22381484)
Exactly correct. I have the 4300 HID and while whiter, not at all blue.

Cups are $5, or tape them over with black gaffers tape or electrical tape.

Agreed, I would switch the high beam back to an H7 and stay with an HID in the 3500-4500 range, I think you will be highly dissapointed with an H7 for the low beam.

def 09-21-2013 11:09 AM

HID lamp color (measured in Kelvin or K) is dependent on the metal salts they put into the lamp kernel at time of manufacture. To change the lamp color, replace the lamp with one of the same wattage but specify 4300K color. This is the lamp color used by the auto manufacturers who equip their cars with OE HIDs. This color provides the most lumens (light amount) in the wavelength best for the human eye. The high K lamps generate light in the UV range, not well detected by the human eye hence the eye fatigue and poor performance of your current HIDs.

If you revert back to incandescent lamps, you'll be disappointed and will give up almost 1/2 of your HID light putput...it will be like mounting a candle on your bike.

cueball 09-21-2013 11:28 AM

thanks for all the advice!! i may try the whiter hid bulbs before going back to h7's.

JimVonBaden 09-21-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball (Post 22382622)
thanks for all the advice!! i may try the whiter hid bulbs before going back to h7's.

If your current bulb is too blue, it is technically whiter at something like a 6000K+. You will technically go yellower, though it will look white instead of blue.

http://www.vvme.com/hlimg/hid-color-temperatures.jpg

cueball 09-21-2013 12:30 PM

from that chart, i would say mine must be in the 8-10k range. seems like 4300 or 5000 would be good. where is the best source for just the bulbs?

JimVonBaden 09-21-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball (Post 22382875)
from that chart, i would say mine must be in the 8-10k range. seems like 4300 or 5000 would be good. where is the best source for just the bulbs?

They are pretty much made all in the same place. E-bay is fine.

cueball 09-21-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 22382915)

thanks jim!

teomannaskali 09-21-2013 05:28 PM

Bulbs alone cost almost as much as the kit itself...

Might want to buy entire kit. To keep spare ballasts.

genka 09-21-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 22382915)

I installed HIDs on the foglights in my minivan. Although I specified 4300k, they are considerably bluer compared to the van's OEM HID headlights. Before that I tried 3000k, they sent me bulbs with yellow glass. Probably the bulbs themselves were high Kelvin value, because the light looked more greenish than anything else. You never know what you are getting from ebay...

JimVonBaden 09-21-2013 09:04 PM

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../HIDII0186.jpg

$27 HID kit from E-bay, high and low beam.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:02 AM.