ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   F'ing idiots!! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925355)

390beretta 10-07-2013 06:13 AM

F'ing idiots!!

I don't know why, but it's happened to me FOUR times this week:

I pull up to a stop light, I'm two or three cars back from the red light. Inevitably someone, this week all women, becomes comatose or starts playing with their "stupid phone" in front of me. The light changes and they don't notice. Result is that twice I've had to sit thru another left turn red light. Most recently, yesterday on my way home from work, I was going straight and the woman in front of me did the same thing; since I was right behind her, I blew my anemic horn. She jumped like I'd shot her and took off. Why the hell can't cagers sit thru a light without falling asleep or amusing themselves with some damned electronic device??

trc.rhubarb 10-07-2013 07:08 AM

Its because they aren't allowed to play with their phones while driving... sitting at a light doesn't count to them as driving. Why not stop further back and just go around if they don't move?

nwpa 10-07-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb (Post 22497839)
Why not stop further back and just go around if they don't move?

Disaster waiting to happen since they also don't use turn signals. Once you start by they wake up and hit the gas and potentially turn (right into you), or you open up a potential road-rage situation when they get pissed that you passed.

If you're passing in an intersection and get hit, it's your fault. The turn signal question becomes their word against yours.

ZEmann 10-07-2013 07:37 AM

I have a train horn on my truck that usually gets their attention
even though I just blip it so as not to cause a heart attack

on my bike I changed that horn also to a much louder one

I know exactly what your dealing with I see it constantly

between missing turn opportunities or catching red lights because of people driving 5 under the limit and taking 1/2 a mile to get to that speed :huh

I will totally leap frog a left turn comatose driver when I am in my truck not so much on the bike

Robert_W 10-07-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEmann (Post 22498069)
I have a train horn on my truck that usually gets their attention ...

Where might I purchase one?

Yossarian™ 10-07-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb (Post 22497839)
Why not stop further back and just go around if they don't move?

I'd rather sit through another light cycle than risk the car driver reacting as I'm going around, and running into me.

MotoTex 10-07-2013 07:53 AM

I see this all the time, and always leave room to easily pull around at every stop in traffic.

Just last week the light turns green and I count to five and the driver hasn't moved in front of me. This time I pulled around them and made the protected left turn.

When I was about a block away I see this driver and the procession after her begin to negotiate the turn.

Unfuckingbelievable that people have become so lax in their driving habits, taking simple observation and safety skills for granted and placing priorities on phone and text messages.

It is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

GoUglyEarly 10-07-2013 08:10 AM

This happens to me several times a day in New Jersey.

I interpret it as a musical ray of light, come down from heaven, of holy permission and justification for liberal interpretation of traffic laws on my terms when the tables are turned.

Which is really useful when passing slower traffic on a motorcycle. It helps me to know that God loves me and protects me from the concentrated hate I receive from all the Philistine drivers around me. :D

Andyvh1959 10-07-2013 08:37 AM

Big difference is: we as motorcyclists are involved and connected deeply to our activity of riding, and most car drivers perceive operating a vehicle little differently than walking. It is just something they have to do to get to what they want to do.

For us, we WANT to do what we do. For most other road users, they HAVE to do it, and want little involvement in it. Until something bad happens.

scottrnelson 10-07-2013 08:41 AM

What is this "two or three cars back from the red light" that you speak of? :D

I know that many of you don't like California and the way that we ride here, but it's really nice to be able to legally squeeze up to the front at red lights and not be stuck behind anybody when the light goes green. :ricky

I don't care if the guys behind me are still asleep.

Yossarian™ 10-07-2013 09:40 AM

I firmly believe that if the car drivers were operating manual transmission vehicles, that the issue of inattentiveness would be far smaller.

Having to be engaged in the act of driving would reduce the number of people for whom it has become a "passive" activity.

Deanowade 10-07-2013 09:57 AM

Stebel. Anticipate driver distraction and give them a blast. It's cathartic.

Schnickelfritz 10-07-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yossarian™ (Post 22498974)
I firmly believe that if the car drivers were operating manual transmission vehicles, that the issue of inattentiveness would be far smaller.

Having to be engaged in the act of driving would reduce the number of people for whom it has become a "passive" activity.

I firmly believe that if drivers were frequently, routinely and consistently issued $500 citations when they are observed playing with one of their toys instead of driving while in the driver's seat, the issue of self-important douchebags blocking the progress of everyone else and endangering their fellow road users would be far smaller. Alas, the "right" to do these things has become as ingrained as the "right" to operate a motor vehicle at all.

kerhonky 10-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoTex (Post 22498181)
It is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

It's not going to get better.

Bleemus 10-07-2013 10:45 AM

Wolo Bad Boy Horn. Works for me.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:37 AM.