ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   EMEA (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Wild camping in Europe – a complete list (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925647)

BGil 10-08-2013 06:01 AM

Wild camping in Europe – a complete list

Wild camping in Europe

The question has already been asked before but I can’t find a complete list with all European countries.

I will complete and correct the list if you can give me more information.
This concerns only wild camping, not in paying campsites.

By “strictly illegal”, I mean that the interdiction is actively enforced with heavy fines.

I collected this information from various sources on the internet. Part of it can be false or outdated.
I took as granted that camping is always legal on private land with the authorisation of the owner.

If you think that more countries need to be added to the list (like Turkey, Armenia, Faroe Islands, etc.), just ask.
I suppose that in some countries like Germany or Russia, the law is different in different Provinces, Länder, Regions or Krai. Please explain.

Albania: legal
Andorra: bivouac legal over 200 metres
Austria: illegal
Belarus: legal
Belgium: strictly illegal
Bosnia & Herzegovina: legal
Bulgaria: legal
Croatia: illegal, fines from 150 to 1000 €
Czech republic
Denmark: illegal except in designated spots
England: strictly illegal except in Dartmoor
Estonia: legal
Finland: legal
France: legal except in protected area, national and regional parks, etc.
Germany: illegal
Greece: illegal but …
Hungary: illegal
Iceland: legal
Ireland: illegal but generally tolerated
Italy: illegal but tolerated north of Rome and ok in the south
Latvia: legal like in Scandinavia
Lichtenstein
Lithuania: legel except in natural parks
Luxembourg: strictly illegal
Macedonia (FYROM)
Moldova
Montenegro: legal
Netherlands: strictly illegal
Northern Ireland: strictly illegal
Norway: legal
Poland: legal except in protected area
Portugal: illegal
Romania: legal
Russia: legal
San Marino
Scotland: legal if you're 100 m from the road
Serbia: legal
Slovakia
Slovenia: illegal
Spain: legal except in protected or urban areas
Sweden: legal
Switzerland: illegal but generally tolerated, light camping legal in the mountains
Ukraine: legal
Wales: strictly illegal

Thank you for your help.

Mark Manley 10-09-2013 07:05 PM

I am not sure that your information for England and Wales is accurate, I have wild camped a lot and without a problem, the worst that will happen is somebody might tell you to leave in the middle of the night. You also don't specify if you mean with or without landowners permission, with it is most certainly legal in Britain.

BGil 10-09-2013 09:59 PM

I don't know either if my information is accurate, that's why I ask you all.

I said "I took as granted that camping is always legal on private land with the authorisation of the owner."
I'm asking about camping on public land.

Also, if someone can come in the middle of the night and ask you to leave, then you're certainly not camping legally, but that's not what I called "strictly illegal" in the list (no heavy fines).

Information is difficult to get. You have to rely on old papers, old websites. I suppose that the locals have a better knowledge of the situation in their country than a foreign webjournalist.

ttr 10-10-2013 12:13 AM

About Italy I would say:

Illegal in general but:

- tolerated in the North
- ok in the South (from rome to Sicily)

BGil 10-10-2013 01:40 AM

Thank you ttr. List updated.

Roadpizza 10-10-2013 08:39 AM

Huh?

I'm not sure I understand the reason for this thread. The true wild camper doesn't give a rat's ass about legality. I've slept roadside in many western, and a few eastern European countries. Never got caught, never worried about it. The trick is to use back roads,
hide well, and leave before daybreak. P.S. I'm not using an icon. Not because I'm boring, because icons are.

francs 10-11-2013 03:16 AM

Slovenia - illegal
You can camp if they don't cought you (if you stay away from popular destinations and places where police can see you from the road) .

BGil 10-11-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadpizza (Post 22522405)
I'm not sure I understand the reason for this thread. The true wild camper doesn't give a rat's ass about legality. I've slept roadside in many western, and a few eastern European countries. Never got caught, never worried about it. The trick is to use back roads,
hide well, and leave before daybreak. P.S. I'm not using an icon. Not because I'm boring, because icons are.

I suppose that I'm not a true wild camper then because I care about legality.

Look at it this way: if you know it's legal, you don't need to be too careful, leave at dawn, etc. You feel at ease, can relax and enjoy a nice cup of coffee/tea in the morning before leaving.

The Walrus 10-11-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGil (Post 22528978)
I suppose that I'm not a true wild camper then because I care about legality.

Look at it this way: if you know it's legal, you don't need to be too careful, leave at dawn, etc. You feel at ease, can relax and enjoy a nice cup of coffee/tea in the morning before leaving.

I will second this approach and throw out the following question:

When riding a moto in the countryside, outside of bigger towns and cities, are land owners approachable and agreeable to permitting a low impact camper?

If you are a reasonable person here in the Western US, there are a few shotgun toting land owners but many are not and you stand a reasonable chance of being accepted. Really, there is so much 'public land' that this is rarely an issue. Quite different from the regions we're discussing but pertinent due to the large number of opportunists popping up during our Federal shutdown.

randel 10-17-2013 06:46 AM

Estonia: camping is legal, additionally you can use this website to find free campsite or hut all around Estonia: http://rmk.ee/en
Promoted and serviced by State Forest Management Centre

guyfawkes 10-17-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 22530446)
When riding a moto in the countryside, outside of bigger towns and cities, are land owners approachable and agreeable to permitting a low impact camper?

i think 80% will let you stay on their grounds if you ask nicely(which makes it legal in return, at least here in austria).
problem around here are hunters...pretty much the only folk beside police that are armed and those in general dont have a kind stance towards riders(at least in my experience). Ive had it happen that one of them goes apeshit simply from people walking on a forestroad(which is permitted).

BGil 10-18-2013 01:16 AM

Thanks for your input guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyfawkes (Post 22572714)
i think 80% will let you stay on their grounds if you ask nicely(which makes it legal in return, at least here in austria).
problem around here are hunters...pretty much the only folk beside police that are armed and those in general dont have a kind stance towards riders(at least in my experience). Ive had it happen that one of them goes apeshit simply from people walking on a forestroad(which is permitted).

The hunters are probably worried that they might kill you. When I was a kid, we've had a dog - a yellow labrador - killed by a hunter during a horse ride in the forest.
However, I admit that we had the vague feeling that he had done it to "punish" us for using the forest during the hunting season. He was known to be an asshole - and a notary.

bigboyxl 10-24-2013 01:59 PM

Ukraine and Russia - legal

wheatwhacker 11-03-2013 01:50 AM

In Ireland, ask a farmer and it's generally okay.

macintosh 11-05-2013 10:02 PM

Scotland
Wild camping on public hill land is OK in Scotland, so long as you are 100m from a road, and don't leave rubbish behind.
http://goo.gl/Bn6XWO

France
Wild camping in France is a legal grey area, but is generally tolerated with the permission of landowners, or if you're well away from tourist sites. You are also advised not to stay beyond 9am the next day.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:23 AM.