ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   right turn etiquette (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926129)

Fluklowskli 10-10-2013 07:43 AM

right turn etiquette

You're sitting in your car at a stoplight, waiting to turn right because a car in front of you is going straight and there's no turn lane. Your blinker is on. A motorcyclist passes between you and the curb, and turns right.

Rude? Unfair? Or acceptable, if the room is there?

Yankee Dog 10-10-2013 07:53 AM

Rude/fair/whatever.

If the situation is reversed what is your opinion. If continuing straight, do you pull your bike forward and to the left so the cars behind you can squeeze through and make the right turn.

I do.

Castle 10-10-2013 07:57 AM

Not really legal in much of the US, but I do it a lot on a scooter. Of course I also park on sidewalks.

The best thing is to be polite to others when driving or riding. Think about how your actions impact them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

nwpa 10-10-2013 08:04 AM

Dangerous. Your view of oncoming traffic, and their view of you is limited by any cars on your left.

Rude or no, it's a dangerous move.

go4mini 10-10-2013 08:06 AM

I try to not do things that may piss people off. Especially people that are bigger (cars, trucks, BIG trucks) than me! :eek1

khager 10-10-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog (Post 22521694)
Rude/fair/whatever.

If the situation is reversed what is your opinion. If continuing straight, do you pull your bike forward and to the left so the cars behind you can squeeze through and make the right turn.

I do.

I do too. I will even wave them by. Long as its done at a reasonable slow speed, no harm done

OrangeYZ 10-10-2013 08:11 AM

If it fits, it ships.

If I'm turning right in my truck and can get by with more than 3" clearance on either side I'll do it, and I wouldn't expect anyone else not to.

NitroRoo 10-10-2013 08:15 AM

It's honestly never even crossed my mind that someone might think it's rude. If I can squeeze by without leaving a clutch lever scrape down the side of the car then I'm going for it. And yes, if I'm on the bike or in the truck and I'm going straight I try to leave enough space for right turners behind me to make it through.

Wraith Rider 10-10-2013 08:29 AM

Would be stupid if the bike didn't.

But as we know, by doing so I'm a terrorizing asshat who should be shot down before randomly attacking other drivers.

ULY-RPG 10-10-2013 08:29 AM

I say let him, but wouldn't do it myself. People do dumb things like turn right without blinkers right into bikes, other cars, pedestrians, ditches, etc.:cry

In this situation I move aside for right turners especially a bike, just being polite I guess. Live and let live. I don't own the road.

DAKEZ 10-10-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluklowskli (Post 22521645)
You're sitting in your car at a stoplight, waiting to turn right because a car in front of you is going straight and there's no turn lane. Your blinker is on. A motorcyclist passes between you and the curb, and turns right.

Rude? Unfair? Or acceptable, if the room is there?

Fairness or expediency?
Wait your turn in line, rude dog!
Bikes are small, cars are big. Life is unfair.

Your poll shows your selfishness. There is NOTHING "unfair" about it. :deal

Fluklowskli 10-10-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 22522002)
You poll shows your selfishness. There is NOTHING "unfair" about it. :deal

I'm the motorcyclist. Got honked at, vaguely uneasy about it.

Fairness and politeness are hardly set in stone, now, are they?

Fluklowskli 10-10-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwpa (Post 22521784)
Dangerous. Your view of oncoming traffic, and their view of you is limited by any cars on your left.

Rude or no, it's a dangerous move.

If it's dangerous, so is any right-hand turn on red when there's a car in the left-turn lane. Depending on the intersection, most people inch forward until they can see what they need to see. And most people don't get hit.

Random-Water 10-10-2013 08:56 AM

IMHO the riders safety is INCREASED because;
1. His hind end isn't waiting to get rear-ended behind you.
2. his side is well protected by your vehicle/vehicle in front of you.

Lastly...WTF ever happened to simple (formerly common) courtesy? If you CAN let someone proceed in travel (foot, car/truck, bicycle, skateboard, scooter or motorcycle) unhindered, you should do so, as long as no one's safety is affected.

Need more fiber in your diet? :wink:

Fluklowskli 10-10-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random-Water (Post 22522129)
If you CAN let someone proceed in travel (foot, car/truck, bicycle, skateboard, scooter or motorcycle) unhindered, you should do so, as long as no one's safety is affected.

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random-Water (Post 22522129)
Need more fiber in your diet? :wink:

Good lord, a lot of us do.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:06 PM.