ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trials (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   trials bicycle (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927461)

Honkylicious 10-15-2013 05:12 PM

trials bicycle
 
Just looking for some advice on building a trials bicycle. Can someone point me towards a decent forum? I am looking to build one from an old mountain bike.

DerViking 10-15-2013 05:39 PM

Spend real money on a rear hub, a Chris King is the best. The tight engagement will do wonders for your learning curve.

Wear shingaurds that cover clear from your ankle over your knee. Ankle protectors can also be good, for when you inevitably land on your front ring with your ankle bone.

Can't help with the forum. Haven't kept up.

mud 10-15-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honkylicious (Post 22560554)
Just looking for some advice on building a trials bicycle. Can someone point me towards a decent forum? I am looking to build one from an old mountain bike.

OTN

It is not really safe for work (or kids), but it is what it is.

Honkylicious 10-16-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerViking (Post 22560750)
Spend real money on a rear hub, a Chris King is the best. The tight engagement will do wonders for your learning curve.

Wear shingaurds that cover clear from your ankle over your knee. Ankle protectors can also be good, for when you inevitably land on your front ring with your ankle bone.

Can't help with the forum. Haven't kept up.

maybe I can wear my MX boots :lol3

Honkylicious 10-16-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 22560786)
OTN

It is not really safe for work (or kids), but it is what it is.



Thanks Mud, found loads of good info on this site. Thanks for the tip. :clap

Kyron 10-17-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honkylicious (Post 22560554)
Just looking for some advice on building a trials bicycle. Can someone point me towards a decent forum? I am looking to build one from an old mountain bike.

buy a old trials bicycle instead.... the geometry is completely different.

DerViking 10-17-2013 07:38 PM

Not a bad point.

Another good option is a dirt jumper frame. Not perfect on geometry, but better, and generally has shorter dropouts. Far more available than Trials frames.

That said, you can have quite a bit of fun on a Mountain bike with good brakes. I run AVID 8" mechanical disks on my Moustache Cycles Odin All Mountain Bike, and find them pretty good for trialsin around. My trials bike runs hydraulic disks, but they require more maintenance and are not as strong all around. I ran the Magura Rim Hydraulics for years, and there are things to recommend about them, but the maintenance is high and can be frustrating. Depending on how big you are, buy some heavy duty wheels now. I walked home too many times with destroyed wheels in my first year.

The main point is to tear into it and have fun. If you ride much you will destroy whatever you start on, and can look for something better.

AteamNM 10-25-2013 09:37 AM

Check this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664648

:deal


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014