ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cam chain tensioner upgrade (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928155)

canadasax 10-18-2013 01:22 PM

Cam chain tensioner upgrade

I have a 2005.5 950 adventure with 60,000 Km's
It has been suggested to me that I replace the tensioners as a maintenance procedure.
Is this a matter of pulling the old ones out and putting the new ones in.
Or is there something else I have to do as part of the procedure.
I had a look through the H.O.W. But I did not find my answer.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.

StevefrmGV 10-18-2013 02:51 PM

Its easy

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadasax (Post 22583458)
I have a 2005.5 950 adventure with 60,000 Km's
It has been suggested to me that I replace the tensioners as a maintenance procedure.
Is this a matter of pulling the old ones out and putting the new ones in.
Or is there something else I have to do as part of the procedure.
I had a look through the H.O.W. But I did not find my answer.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.

I just replaced mine on my 04 950. Tools required: 8mm Allem w/ball end. small wire for hooking tensiner body. I bought new caps also. Pump/Lube up the new ones withthe type of oil you use. My bike is much quieter overall and on start up now. Have fun.
Steve

canadasax 10-18-2013 03:46 PM

Thank you

renogeorge 10-18-2013 08:52 PM

When you are changing the tensioners you can check the wear on the timing chains by measuring the distance from the loosened tensioner to the cylinder. See the service manual for details.

outbacktaz 04-19-2014 11:09 AM

Quick question, as my bike is back in storage now that it snowed a lot again here!!

Are those quite accessible or do I have to take half the bike apart to check/change the tensioners??

Thanks guys!!

Pistolero 04-19-2014 09:21 PM

Back one is easy... Front one is not so easy but it's not too bad.

Check your chains as suggested above while you are in there. They do not have much room for stretching.

I did my chains at 50,000 miles on my 990 and they did not really need it at all if it makes you feel better.

The tensioners go much more quickly but the new ones pop right in. Re-torque the cap and off you go.

outbacktaz 04-19-2014 11:12 PM

Cool!! The only way I can see with the Shop Book is after engine removal...!!

When I look into the front of the bike, I can see the front one. But I can't see the back one...?? It's in the Vee, right?

Bowber 04-20-2014 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbacktaz (Post 23977340)
Cool!! The only way I can see with the Shop Book is after engine removal...!!

When I look into the front of the bike, I can see the front one. But I can't see the back one...?? It's in the Vee, right?

Just imagine you've flipped the cylinder round the piston, the cap should be on the right rear.
The cam chains run from each side so the front cylinder cam chain is on the left and the rear cylinder cam chain is on the right.

Steve

uk_mouse 04-20-2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowber (Post 23977517)
Just imagine you've flipped the cylinder round the piston, the cap should be on the right rear.

The cap for the rear cylinder is on the right hand side of the front of the cylinder. Same side as the intake port, unlike the front one which is on the same side as the exhaust.

outbacktaz 04-20-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowber (Post 23977517)
The cam chains run from each side so the front cylinder cam chain is on the left and the rear cylinder cam chain is on the right.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_mouse (Post 23977540)
The cap for the rear cylinder is on the right hand side of the front of the cylinder. Same side as the intake port, unlike the front one which is on the same side as the exhaust.

Thanks guys!! I'll have a look at them tomorrow...!! :clap

Bowber 04-20-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_mouse (Post 23977540)

So it is, I was looking at the wrong blanking plug:shog

Steve

JK1 04-20-2014 03:08 AM

I changed the tensioners, cam chains and rails when I did mine recently. Mines an 03 37k miles on the clock. The old chains where slightly longer than the new ones and one of the plastic rails was slightly worn.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:23 AM.