ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Why offer trades?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928650)

yeoman 10-20-2013 03:32 PM

Why offer trades??

So, as I look at all the bikes for sale in the flea market, I'm baffled why so many people want to make trades. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it simply the sales tax savings? What are the odds that someone has the exact bike that I want and that I have the bike that he wants? Very slim! For instance, I have an '04 GS 1150 and would love to get on a 1200 GS. Who out there wants to make that trade? This phenom just makes me curious.

tkent02 10-20-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 22596358)
So, as I look at all the bikes for sale in the flea market, I'm baffled why so many people want to make trades. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it simply the sales tax savings? What are the odds that someone has the exact bike that I want and that I have the bike that he wants? Very slim! For instance, I have an '04 GS 1150 and would love to get on a 1200 GS. Who out there wants to make that trade? This phenom just makes me curious.

I've traded all kinds of bikes. If I want a specific model and year, not so much. If I want a medium dual sport, perhaps a small street bike for my wife, or a big road bike for some trip, sure why not. A lot of times I just want something different. I would trade any of my bikes for a nice old two stroke street bike. I'm also looking for a big old beemer, or a plated two stroke MX bike. Looking for a cheap trials bike too. Any of them, a few months later I'm bored, be happy to trade it for something different.
Anything old and wierd gets special consideration.

Got one I want?

koyote 10-20-2013 04:20 PM

I guess my answer would be, why not make trades. If someone has a bike I want and I have a bike they want it makes perfect sense. I've made two trades through flea market and both worked out perfectly.

k-moe 10-20-2013 04:21 PM

In Kansas there is no sales tax advantage. You pay tax based on the retail value of the bike, no matter how the transaction is handled. The legislature fixed the $1.00 loophole several years ago. Trades make sense from a "good faith" standpoint. I'm much more willing to trust someone who is handing over real property (that I can inspect) than I am of somone who is handing me paper (that might be counterfit or forged).

Waco 10-20-2013 04:25 PM

Well, I have no money to spend on a motorcycle. But I do have this RT in the garage that I've always had mixed feelings about owning. There might be someone out there who wants to trade for it. But, yeah, finding someone who wants my RT and has a bike I want is a long shot.

AlanCT 10-20-2013 04:51 PM

I have no spare cash to spend on a bike, and I'm not willing to finance one. I did have one I wasn't riding much any more lately, and there was a particular one I've admired for years that I wanted to try. I happened to cross paths with an inmate who wanted a bike like mine, and who had the one I liked. We traded straight up last week, and we are both pretty happy with the result.:D this was my first ever vehicle trade, and it worked out quite well.

I find trading stuff is more fun and interesting than buying and selling, and it's an inexpensive way to try new stuff.

DAKEZ 10-20-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 22596358)

What are the odds of your finding out if you don't put it out there and ask the question?

There are a LOT of bikes and other things I would like to own. I am always open for suggestions.

I just put a gun that I had gotten as partial payment for a bike up for sale (not here) and ended up with a different gun and a bunch of ammo instead. As long as both parties go home happy it's a win win.

corndog67 10-20-2013 06:04 PM

I'm a horse tradin' sonofabitch. I've traded a YZ450F, for a GSXR1000 Superbike, full Youshimura super high compression engine, Marchesini Forged Mags, Ohlins, the full kit. Straight across, a GSXR with probably at least $20,000 in it. I also traded a XR650L Supermoto for a Sportster, which my wife wanted. I'm always open for a trade, sometimes there are screaming deals to be had.

yeoman 10-20-2013 07:16 PM

Wow. I am surprised that it happens so often. It's probably you lucky sobs that have a dozen bikes in your garage.

AviatorTroy 10-20-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 22597894)
Wow. I am surprised that it happens so often. It's probably you lucky sobs that have a dozen bikes in your garage.

You would be surprised how well it works. I'd rather try to trade (first) with a fellow ADVer than go through the trouble of selling a bike then try not to get screwed buying something else.

AviatorTroy 10-20-2013 08:22 PM

And while your original example might not work straight across, plenty of people in these economic times would gladly trade you a 1200 for your 1150 plus some cash.

The trading works better say if you wanted to trade your GS for an RT, there are lots of guys who have an RT but have seen the light and want to get dirty. ;)

I'm sort of the other way around, I have a GS and although the wife loves it and won't let me do this, I don't ride it mush as intended and might be happier with an RT and a WR250 or something.

Sorry to ramble but you gotta get creative.

tkent02 10-20-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman (Post 22597894)

It's not luck, it's a lot of careful trading.

M-Cat 10-20-2013 10:17 PM

As long as both parties go home happy it's a win win.[/QUOTE]

This.

Tuna Helper 10-21-2013 05:48 AM

Its easier to trade for something you want than it is to sell what you have for what you want, then try to find what you want in your price range.

OrangeYZ 10-21-2013 08:26 AM

I put my KLR up for sale wanting money. Nobody calls for three months.
I see an ad that a guy has a 4x4 pickup and wants either money or a dual sport.
I have a dual sport. My brother wants a 4x4 pickup. We trade.
He has a KLR, my brother has a 4x4, someday he'll pay me for it. Don't care, KLR's gone :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:07 PM.