ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Should I learn to wheelie? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929513)

Hesaid 10-23-2013 06:46 PM

Should I learn to wheelie?

Pretty much what the title says.

I'll start by saying that I have no desire to perform any wheelies (again. I did one once, the story is buried somewhere in "Faceplants", we needn't look it up). In fact, I consider the tendency of the DR (in stock form) to not wheelie on throttle alone to be a plus. However, I've heard it said that there are times when lifting the front wheel is a good idea, or even a necessity, and I can certainly see where that might be the case. Most of these scenarios would be off road, which isn't where we spend most of our time. Gnarly single track isn't our style. But even Forest Service roads can get rough unexpectedly due to time and weather.

So, what say you? Is this a vital skill? Will it help me overall, being as it's another facet of the bike's abilities/handling that's I'd be familiar with? Is it just an open door to the world of hooliganism?

MV

gearheadE30 10-23-2013 06:50 PM

Maybe I'm a minority, but I can't pull a wheelie on the road. There's just some mental block there that I've never been able to get past. Off road, though, I've never had a problem getting it up when I need to.....:evil

Something about soft ground I guess. That said, off road, it is definitely good to know how to lift the wheel at a moment's notice.

caryder 10-23-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesaid (Post 22622693)

I'll start by saying that I have no desire to perform any wheelies (again. I did one once, the story is buried somewhere in "Faceplants", we needn't look it up). In fact, I consider the tendency of the DR (in stock form) to not wheelie on throttle alone to be a plus. However, I've heard it said that there are times when lifting the front wheel is a good idea, or even a necessity, and I can certainly see where that might be the case. Most of these scenarios would be off road, which isn't where we spend most of our time. Gnarly single track isn't our style. But even Forest Service roads can get rough unexpectedly due to time and weather.

So, what say you? Is this a vital skill? Will it help me overall, being as it's another facet of the bike's abilities/handling that's I'd be familiar with? Is it just an open door to the world of hooliganism?

MV

Based on what you've said, I'd say no.

Chuck

xymotic 10-23-2013 07:34 PM

I would say lifting a wheel and a wheelie are two different things.

I wheelie a lot, because it's addictive and fun as hell. It's also a TERRIBLE idea with very few redeeming qualities (outside of trials type riding) and a lot of risk, esp to insurance premiums:deal

That being said, it's actually a lot harder to loft the wheel on dirt, and knowing how to compress the forks and change the bike's stance is most definitely a valuable skill, and lofting the front makes when you need to makes riding a lot better/safer.

Barnone 10-24-2013 05:41 AM

Very stupid poll.

randyo 10-24-2013 05:56 AM

certainly a good skill to know how to handle a wheelie, I have found my front wheel in the air more than once when not planned

randyo 10-24-2013 05:57 AM

what's wrong with the Darkside ?

Handy 10-24-2013 05:58 AM

Loud wheelies save lives...

storymitchell 10-24-2013 06:02 AM

Getting some to all of the weight off the front tire can be a critical survival skill. I have had to ride over extremely large/deep potholes, a 2x4 spinning down the highway, and a dog. In each case, lofting the front tire over the obstacle was probably the difference between staying upright and tasting asphalt.

xymotic 10-24-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storymitchell (Post 22625168)
Getting some to all of the weight off the front tire can be a critical survival skill. I have had to ride over extremely large/deep potholes, a 2x4 spinning down the highway, and a dog. In each case, lofting the front tire over the obstacle was probably the difference between staying upright and tasting asphalt.

I will say I once won a game of Chicken with a big assed & mean german Shepard once I decided I was gonna hit anyway and the wheel came up:evil

Barnone 10-24-2013 06:20 AM

Still a stupid poll. Not a stupid skill.

James Adams 10-24-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storymitchell (Post 22625168)
tasting asphalt.

a full-face helmet helps with that part :lol3

KustomizingKid 10-24-2013 07:16 AM

I love riding wheelies, nothing luts a bigger smile on my face. Off road being able to brig the front over logs and rocks is good, but I wouldn't call that a wheelie.

ct-ktm 10-24-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesaid (Post 22622693)

In fact, I consider the tendency of the DR (in stock form) to not wheelie on throttle alone to be a plus.

If you twist the throttle it will wheelie in stock form..

But if you own a DR and have not found that out yet you might want to leave the front tire on the ground..:D

Auto-X Fil 10-24-2013 09:34 AM

The three categories of wheelies:

1) Unweighting or lifting the front wheel. It's quick, not very aggressive, and very useful. The front wheel barely comes off the ground, but it's useful for getting over logs and the like. It's not particularly fun, and can be done with a quick weight shift and a little throttle on almost any bike.

2) Sustained power wheelies. You've got the front wheel decidedly off the ground, but still a ways from the balance point. You're holding it up by being at full throttle, or close to it. This is very useful for getting through water without getting soaked or endo-ing. It's also really fun on a bike with the balls to hold one for a while.

3) Balance wheelies. These are harder, and completely useless. They are stunting. They are riskier to do than a power wheelie, but can be done at lower speeds, since you have to accelerate hard to hold a power wheelie. I can't really do these very well yet, but I keep messing around because it's a fun thing to try and get. I only do this on my dirt bike, because I feel like looping it is not unlikely.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 PM.