ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Zumo 390LM Experience (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929829)

wenneker 10-25-2013 10:12 AM

Zumo 390LM Experience

Good afternoon,
It looks like the Zumo 390 is now available for purchase at GPSCity and Amazon. Does anyone have real world experience with it? I am considering adding it to my Christmas wish list :-)
Thank you,
Wolfgang

geg 10-25-2013 10:47 AM

interesting....
I am curious as well

:ear

Emoto 10-25-2013 10:49 AM

Apologies for this not being what the OP asked for, but if you look at any of the Zumo 350 threads, you will get most of what you need, with the exception of "curvy roads" and the tire pressure thing. My opinion is that those are the only differences.

geg 10-25-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 22635171)
Apologies for this not being what the OP asked for, but if you look at any of the Zumo 350 threads, you will get most of what you need, with the exception of "curvy roads" and the tire pressure thing. My opinion is that those are the only differences.

well actually that's good info (I think so anyway)
thanks

wenneker 10-26-2013 04:39 AM

Thank you for the replies so far. I have been doing some research in the last few weeks and yes, it looks "on paper" that the 390 is a 350 with TPM and a curvy road routing feature.
However, I would like to get some feedback from people who actually own the unit. Many people are fast to provide feedback when something doesn't work as they were hoping for. I don't see that many posts from people stating that something does work.
Thank you again,
Wolfgang

Emoto 10-26-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenneker (Post 22640166)
Thank you for the replies so far. I have been doing some research in the last few weeks and yes, it looks "on paper" that the 390 is a 350 with TPM and a curvy road routing feature.
However, I would like to get some feedback from people who actually own the unit. Many people are fast to provide feedback when something doesn't work as they were hoping for. I don't see that many posts from people stating that something does work.
Thank you again,
Wolfgang

You may want to spend some time on the phone with Garmin support and ask them about whether there are any other differences. Just a thought, since it is an expensive purchase.

Also, on the Garmin site, you can do a comparison by filling in checkboxes and see the specs side by side in a table here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...cycles-p1.html

Aside from what was already mentioned, it looks like there might be a difference in how the bluetooth works, perhaps in the kinds of things it can pair with, but I am not sure.

Vec 10-29-2013 12:47 AM

If you have some specific questions I can see if I can answer them. (Background: I also have a Sena headset paired to it with bluetooth and an iPhone paired to the Sena as well)

I've never had a 350, but came to the 390 from an old and crusty 550. I just mounted it a few weeks ago and haven't done much driving other than commutes at this point. It's certainly an upgrade from the 550. :D So far it's worked great, but I've not really given it a hard workout.

I did get the TPM caps as well. They seem pretty close to my pressure gauge. I do feel better knowing that things are being monitored continually. I've not tested it with a puncture yet... hopefully never will, but it's like insurance I reckon; you get it so you don't need to use it.

MostlyLurking 11-30-2013 12:13 PM

I came to this site through careful searches trying to get info on the Garmin Zumo 390LM, and also comparisons with the Garmin Zumo 350LM. This has been a bit of an eye opener, and it seems that Travex has endured a lot of pain while helpfully warning other about the problems that he has had with the Garmin Zumo 350LM.

So I am posting to help people find what amounts to a comparison or review of the Garmin Zumo 390LM. And the advice from Emoto about the Garmin Zumo 390LM being almost identical to the Garmin Zumo 35LM is very sound. As far as I can see, the only differences are to do with (a) curvy roads, which is purely a software, memory and database setup issue, (b) uprated bluetooth, which, even if there is anything useful in the upgrade, is simply an input board, and (c) an ANT+ receiver for Tire Pressure (Tyre pressure if you speak real English), also known as TPMS. Similarly, it is just an input.

What this means is that by virtue of very small changes in the specs of the unit, Garmin is trying to lose the toxic chat about the Garmin Zumo 350LM which is all over the internet, and instead focus everyone on the all-singing, all-dancing new Garmin Zumo 390LM, which probably has the same main circuit board as the Garmin Zumo 350LM.

I think they don't deserve to get away with that without a lot more explanation about how they have fixed the problems. But what do I know?

knucklebuster 11-30-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks MostlyLurking

I am about ready to pull the plug on a 390lm purchase but I hesitate until I hear from some more inmates that already have the 390lm. I really think this is what I want over the Montana. I really don't need the curvy roads add on but I do want bluetooth to feed into my Sena ear phones. So somebody speak up and tell us about you loves or hates of the 390lm.:clap

Emoto 11-30-2013 01:24 PM

I was on the phone with Garmin the other day for an unrelated question, but while I was there I asked about the differences between the 350 and 390. Those few items detailed above (BT types, tire pressure, curvy roads) are the only differences according to the cust svc rep.

One feature that my 350 had (not mine anymore, I sold it after buying the Nav V so I could use the handlebar wheel) so I assume the 390 also does, is the "advanced detour" feature. This feature allowed you (when navigating a route and coming to some reason you have to deviate, like a bridge out) to select distance or road to detour around and it would route you as you chose. This is a really excellent feature and IMHO a better detour function than any of the other Zumos or Navigators. I had to use it several times out in TMON when I came across closed roads or bridges and it really worked well.

advNZer? 11-30-2013 02:41 PM

will the 390 show tracks and navigate routes made in basecamp ?

Emoto 12-01-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advNZer? (Post 22891751)
will the 390 show tracks and navigate routes made in basecamp ?

It can definitely navigate routes made in BaseCamp.

As for tracks, it can definitely "track back" meaning take you back over whatever way you just came. I do not believe it can display other tracks on screen, but I am not sure; am basing that opinion on what the 350 can do. I don't think there are many 390 owners who have found their way to this forum yet.

slime 03-08-2014 06:56 PM

I'm considering a 390 LM even though I have a 478 that for what I do am happy with. A friend has one and is going to give me her feed back on it after there adventures tomorrow. Another feature of the 390 is the curvy road option for routes. Shorts distance, fastest time or curvy roads...

Emoto 03-09-2014 06:45 AM

It should be pointed out that the most recent update adds the Tracking app, making the 350/390 as capable as any of the other zumo units.

MotoBoss 03-09-2014 07:03 AM

I recently bought the 350LM from GPSCity and have been happy with it. I did research, here and internet sources, and found it too near the 390 to warrant the cash savings. I have had no problems with it but have had limited time on the bike, due to weather, but have used it in my truck with fine results.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:47 PM.