ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Effing Thieves !!! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930039)

Gelandevans 10-26-2013 11:02 AM

Effing Thieves !!!

I just want to vent a little...
So yesterday morning somewhere between 7 and 10 am some little bastard walked away with my tankbag. they actually took the time to unzip it from the magnetic base and stole it. :cry
Luckily (?) it only had breakdown stuff like tools, tubes, compressor, first aid kit etc in it and the bag itself was a little worn, but dammit now I gotta replace it and its not like that stuff would be of any use unless that person rides, which if it was a fellow rider-
"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits" !!

Anyway word of warning fellow riders: The bastards are out there, don't leave anything on your bike!

scootrboi 10-26-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelandevans (Post 22641963)
So yesterday morning somewhere between 7 and 10 am some little bastard walked away with my tankbag. they actually took the time to unzip it from the magnetic base and stole it. :cry
Luckily (?) it only had breakdown stuff like tools, tubes, compressor, first aid kit etc in it and the bag itself was a little worn, but dammit now I gotta replace it and its not like that stuff would be of any use unless that person rides, which if it was a fellow rider-

Anyway word of warning fellow riders: The bastards are out there, don't leave anything on your bike!

That is a shame. I haven't had that experience, but my tool kit is a marvel of functional cheapness. I hope yours was too.

Kommando 10-26-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Crackheads/Methheads/Kidiots will steal anything and try to sell it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a rider that's doing it. That said, fellow riders steal BIKES all the time.

Quote:

Or secure it better if you don't want to take it with you. Lock it to the bike with a PacSafe net, and put an alarm on the bike. Then they're usually more likely to go somewhere else and find easier pickings.

KoolBreeze 10-26-2013 01:09 PM

this is the reason I'm working on additional hard luggage capacity for my bike. not that anything been stolen yet, but having owned convertibles and bikes for almost my entire adult life it's a fact that if you leave something in less than a hard container fixed in some fashion to something that weighs more than a person can carry more than a foot solo don't "count on it" being there 24/7. all it takes is a stop somewhere and a glance in another direction...

and don't get me started on pickpockets and other slight of hand artists...

IndyChizzle 10-26-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Where are you located and what do you need? I'm sure inmates with extra stuff would be happy to help if you let us know.

jeveretts 10-26-2013 03:45 PM

I got an extra marsee tank bag you can have if you want.
It is kinda big about 15" from front to back, kind of a flat bottom. Let me know if it will work for you.

http://i.imgur.com/Lk6k3Qw.jpg

DAKEZ 10-26-2013 06:24 PM

There is a reason they put that zipper on there... And it isn't for the thieves.

I had a laptop taken out of a backpack strapped to my bike this Summer. Thieving Bastards SUCK!!!

:bash

DAKEZ 10-26-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

"The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana"

khager 10-26-2013 08:11 PM

Wow that sucks, too bad you didn't have a live rattlesnake in there.

Contevita 10-26-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khager (Post 22644508)
Wow that sucks, too bad you didn't have a live rattlesnake in there.

lol wtf

jeveretts 10-27-2013 03:03 PM

Wow, I can't even GIVE that tank bag away to a noob!

Dave in Wi 10-28-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeveretts (Post 22648289)
Wow, I can't even GIVE that tank bag away to a noob!

Maybe a bigger photo would have helped?

:-)

DAKEZ 10-28-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Wi (Post 22651927)
Maybe a bigger photo would have helped?

:-)

:photog

Maximus64 10-29-2013 12:35 PM

Bad deal. I havent had a bag stolen yet but, I took a proactive approach. I bought 1/8" steel cable and crimps at the hardware store. Ran the cable through a nylon loop at the back of the bag and crimped it back on itself. made a loop in the other end and ran it under the seat to a seat post that the front seat snaps down on.
May not keep it from getting stolen but, thieves are gonna have to work at it. I also don't keep anything of much value in it.

Gripsteruser 10-29-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus64 (Post 22662808)
Bad deal. I havent had a bag stolen yet but, I took a proactive approach. I bought 1/8" steel cable and crimps at the hardware store. Ran the cable through a nylon loop at the back of the bag and crimped it back on itself. made a loop in the other end and ran it under the seat to a seat post that the front seat snaps down on.
May not keep it from getting stolen but, thieves are gonna have to work at it. I also don't keep anything of much value in it.

Don't suppose that thieves might have a knife available do you? How much work would it be to cut that nylon strap ?

I just don't let the bike out of my sight if I can't take the stuff with me.
It's really limiting but I'm paranoid for a reason. I'll eat fast food and sit close to the door with a view of the bike etc.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 AM.