ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rule #5 (10 things I've Learned from 10 Crashes) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930117)

DAKEZ 10-26-2013 05:55 PM

Rule #5 (10 things I've Learned from 10 Crashes)

5. Itís Always Your Fault, No Matter What
Hereís the thing about riding a bike: youíre taking your life into your own hands. Thereís no steel safety cage, no airbags, no crumple zone, its just you and your wits against the world. If you ask me, thatís what makes riding so great, but it also means you need to make a fundamental shift in your thinking. It doesnít matter what it says on the police report or the insurance papers or that the teenage chick was texting her boyfriend when she hit you; all that matters is she hit you. And you could have prevented it, you needed to, itís your life, not hers.

So go out there and actively take your own life into your own hands. No excuses. Someone hit you from behind at a stop light? Why werenít you flashing your brake lights? Why didnít you slow down early to bring them to a controlled stop? Why were you stopped in the lane and not on the margin?

Car turn left in front of you? Why didnít you see it coming? Why couldnít you brake harder? Why werenít you more visible?

You have the tools to ride safely, itís up to you to use them. No one else is going to do it for you.

From: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-thin...cycle-crashes/

Butters 10-26-2013 06:12 PM

I agree with you almost 100%. But I do think there are the occasional accidents where it really can't reasonably be avoided (Deer out of the woods, for example). But those instances are far fewer than people acknowledge. I've always felt that 99% of all accidents happened because two parties weren't paying enough attention. Sure, one party may be totally legally responsible, but that's not to say the other party couldn't have avoided it with reasonable diligence.

And on a motorcycle, that can be a matter of life and death. I think a lot of people don't take accidents where the other party was "at fault" as learning experiences.

beendog 10-26-2013 06:31 PM

And even still with deer. We can slow by 10mph, we can avoid riding in high deer traffic areas etc...

ehatcher 10-26-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 22643888)
Hereís the thing about riding a bike: youíre taking your life into your own hands........

Yes, but it is so much easier to blame others rather than take responsibility for my actions :lol3

Eric

DAKEZ 10-26-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 22643972)
I agree with you almost 100%. But I do think there are the occasional accidents where it really can't reasonably be avoided (Deer out of the woods, for example). But those instances are far fewer than people acknowledge. I've always felt that 99% of all accidents happened because two parties weren't paying enough attention. Sure, one party may be totally legally responsible, but that's not to say the other party couldn't have avoided it with reasonable diligence.

And on a motorcycle, that can be a matter of life and death. I think a lot of people don't take accidents where the other party was "at fault" as learning experiences.

Agreed... But I put the number at 98%. (could have been/should have been avoided)

I wouldn't want to be confused with those 1%'rs :D

I wonder if they would take offense if we wore 2% patches? :lol3

dwoodward 10-26-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 22643972)

Stop using that word when discussing these kinds of events. Use 'collision' or 'crash'.

NJ-Brett 10-26-2013 07:51 PM

We are supposed to listen to someone who had 10 crashes?

DAKEZ 10-26-2013 07:55 PM

:photog

davek181 10-26-2013 08:26 PM

They need to move the deer crossing signs so the deer will cross the road in slower traffic areas where it makes more sense. Maybe put them at school crossings?

ibafran 10-26-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ-Brett (Post 22644423)
We are supposed to listen to someone who had 10 crashes?

ALL: Yes. I would think so.
I would bet that Hillary, before he got to the top, asked a lot of people who didn't make the top of Everest and fell off, "What seemed to be the problem?" I believe that the Wrights kept track of others' progress for similar reasons.

Not counting 'dirt fun' crashes, I probably have 20-30 crashes to my credit, lifetime, so far. And I am reading this thread hoping to pick up something useful.

OTOH: I have followed a few riders who have never crashed or fallen off. If I had to ride like that all the time, I would sell the bike and be done with riding ever again.

ibafran 10-26-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 22643888)
Hereís the thing about riding a bike: youíre taking your life into your own hands. Thereís no steel safety cage, no airbags, no crumple zone, its just you and your wits against the world. If you ask me, thatís what makes riding so great, but it also means you need to make a fundamental shift in your thinking. It doesnít matter what it says on the police report or the insurance papers or that the teenage chick was texting her boyfriend when she hit you; all that matters is she hit you. And you could have prevented it, you needed to, itís your life, not hers.

So go out there and actively take your own life into your own hands. No excuses. Someone hit you from behind at a stop light? Why werenít you flashing your brake lights? Why didnít you slow down early to bring them to a controlled stop? Why were you stopped in the lane and not on the margin?

Car turn left in front of you? Why didnít you see it coming? Why couldnít you brake harder? Why werenít you more visible?

You have the tools to ride safely, itís up to you to use them. No one else is going to do it for you.

From: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-thin...cycle-crashes/

This. Nicely put, Dakez. Especially paragraph 2 which points right at the fact that there is much more to 'traffic management/risk management' than many riders ever dream of.

CSI 10-26-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beendog (Post 22644053)
And even still with deer. We can slow by 10mph, we can avoid riding in high deer traffic areas etc...

Or you could speed up.....then, you would already be past that point on the road when the deer decides to cross...

henshao 10-27-2013 01:27 AM

Sums up my views on self defense.

randyo 10-27-2013 03:25 AM

I would not say absolute 100%, theres's that .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000001% chance and airplane will fall out of the sky on your head

fallingoff 10-27-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 22644239)
Agreed... But I put the number at 98%. (could have been/should have been avoided)

I wouldn't want to be confused with those 1%'rs :D

I wonder if they would take offense if we wore 2% patches? :lol3

Yeh not all
Most of mine could have been prevented
Except for the one that took
Off from a park position
Across 3 lanes of traffic
Sideways in front of me.
I just took off from a set
Of lights, so was going slowly.
Smashed front end.
Coppers would not book him
He said someone sideswiped him
He took off to chase.
But the sideswipe fucked his steering
Still see red and that was 35 years ago.
But the rest yep, most my fault.
The rest could have been avoided.
Cheers

Oh I went over his car got up
Punched out his window.
He stayed in the car
Lucky for me.
He was built like a brick shit house.
I would have been double smashed.
Lol

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:02 AM.