ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Riding with Cancer; looking to ride in the Hollister, California area (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945794)

bwwoodard 01-07-2014 09:15 PM

Riding with Cancer; looking to ride in the Hollister, California area
 
I am posting this on behalf of Mike, who I know from another motorcycle forum . He gave me his blessing to post here, on his behalf. Anyone in the area, please consider hooking up with him for a ride. He lives in the Hollister, California area. (Central coast, Cal.). He can be contacted at: mikengrace5263@yahoo.com.

"I am 61 years old and have ridden since I was 18. I have ridden every type of bike in every type and style of riding. I also have terminal cancer. I have been fighting it for over 3 years. During that time I have lost 80 lbs and 5 inches in height. You can imagine how much weaker I now am. Yet, I still want and try to ride when ever possible. I do good to get out once every week or two. The thought behind this thread is to point out that there are probably many riders out there like me. The problem is that it is difficult and potentially dangerous for us to ride alone, so often we chose not to at all. A simple fall or mechanical failure could be a very serious situation for us. If you know or hear of someone in a similar situation, ask them along on your next ride. Or, make a point of setting up a ride especially for them. They will love the opportunity to ride with a companion. You will probably gain from years of experience and you will both enjoy the ride. I currently live in the Hollister, Calif. area and know most, if not all of the back roads and dual sport trails around. If you are interested in a ride, give me a reply and we will set something up. God Bless. Mike C."

pcvance 01-08-2014 11:23 AM

Hollister ride with Mike
 
I'm currently recovering from colon cancer surgery myself but a ride sounds good when my doctor says its ok. I live across the valley in Visalia. I know a few good trails over here too. Lets ride!:ear
Perry

Mikengrace 01-08-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 23167760)
I'm currently recovering from colon cancer surgery myself but a ride sounds good when my doctor says its ok. I live across the valley in Visalia. I know a few good trails over here too. Lets ride!:ear
Perry

Perry.
Thanks for your response. I am new to this site. Came over from a KLR forum. Any how, not only am I looking for others in my position ride with I am also trying to raise awareness about the fact that there are many of us who love to ride but our health situation makes it both difficult and dangerous to do so alone.
I would love to get together with you for a ride when you are able. Perhaps we could meet in the middle somewhere or whatever. I am sure we can work something out. I am open for just about any location and type of roads. I prefer to stay off long stretches of freeway though, and my preference is the curvier the better. Some dirt or gravel thrown is great also. God Bless and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

pcvance 01-08-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikengrace (Post 23171047)
Perry.
Thanks for your response. I am new to this site. Came over from a KLR forum. Any how, not only am I looking for others in my position ride with I am also trying to raise awareness about the fact that there are many of us who love to ride but our health situation makes it both difficult and dangerous to do so alone.
I would love to get together with you for a ride when you are able. Perhaps we could meet in the middle somewhere or whatever. I am sure we can work something out. I am open for just about any location and type of roads. I prefer to stay off long stretches of freeway though, and my preference is the curvier the better. Some dirt or gravel thrown is great also. God Bless and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Mike, that sounds great, I'll let you know when my doc clears me to ride. I was so sick from the colon cancer my blood count was 4.3, I needed 5 units of blood just to get me safe to go home from the hospital. Good news is my doctor removed a section of the right side of my colon and I'm good to go. I'm still waiting on the pathology report to determine if I'll need chemo...
What cancer are you fighting? Are you riding a KLR? We could meet up at bass lake and ride the Sierra national forest. Lots of good riding over there. Checkout the Central Valley Dual Sport Rides thread. Sierra NF report & Sequoia NF report threads, I post in all three. There are a bunch of good guys over here, join us for rides anytime, just post up or PM if you want to ride. You & I can be the cancer fighter riders...
Perry

Mikengrace 01-09-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 23172052)
Mike, that sounds great, I'll let you know when my doc clears me to ride. I was so sick from the colon cancer my blood count was 4.3, I needed 5 units of blood just to get me safe to go home from the hospital. Good news is my doctor removed a section of the right side of my colon and I'm good to go. I'm still waiting on the pathology report to determine if I'll need chemo...
What cancer are you fighting? Are you riding a KLR? We could meet up at bass lake and ride the Sierra national forest. Lots of good riding over there. Checkout the Central Valley Dual Sport Rides thread. Sierra NF report & Sequoia NF report threads, I post in all three. There are a bunch of good guys over here, join us for rides anytime, just post up or PM if you want to ride. You & I can be the cancer fighter riders...
Perry

Perry
I can identify with you in many ways. I have Multiple Myeloma. It is a cancer in the bones and bone marrow. I have lost 90 lbs now and 5 1/2 inches in height due to 11 collapsed vertebrae. The bone marrow makes your red and white blood cells. So a real danger for me is the inability to fight disease and becoming extremely anemic. I have had several blood transfusions like you. In the last three and one half years I have had radiation to remove legions on my spine. Kemo to fight the cancer. Stem cell transplant. None of which have worked very well. I am currently in a research trial involving being infused every two weeks with modified anti-bodies from mice. This is cutting edge and only about 50 people in the country are in the trial. The good news is that where nothing else has worked well, after about two months in this trial my numbers have turned around and seem to be improving. Now the question is, how long will this trend last? I am glad to hear your surgery went well and I will pray for your continued improvement. Yes I do ride a 2013 KLR. I have been riding all my life on almost every kind and style of motorcycle. I would like to form up the cancer fighter riders with you. The areas you suggested riding sound great as I have not ridden that area at all and I am always looking to ride new areas. Let's keep in touch and try to set something up. I am trying to establish some way for others in our situation to get in touch with riders in their area to ride with so they can ride with less concern about the dangers of riding alone. Hope to hear from you soon.
God Bless. Mike

pcvance 01-09-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikengrace (Post 23181399)
Perry
I can identify with you in many ways. I have Multiple Myeloma. It is a cancer in the bones and bone marrow. I have lost 90 lbs now and 5 1/2 inches in height due to 11 collapsed vertebrae. The bone marrow makes your red and white blood cells. So a real danger for me is the inability to fight disease and becoming extremely anemic. I have had several blood transfusions like you. In the last three and one half years I have had radiation to remove legions on my spine. Kemo to fight the cancer. Stem cell transplant. None of which have worked very well. I am currently in a research trial involving being infused every two weeks with modified anti-bodies from mice. This is cutting edge and only about 50 people in the country are in the trial. The good news is that where nothing else has worked well, after about two months in this trial my numbers have turned around and seem to be improving. Now the question is, how long will this trend last? I am glad to hear your surgery went well and I will pray for your continued improvement. Yes I do ride a 2013 KLR. I have been riding all my life on almost every kind and style of motorcycle. I would like to form up the cancer fighter riders with you. The areas you suggested riding sound great as I have not ridden that area at all and I am always looking to ride new areas. Let's keep in touch and try to set something up. I am trying to establish some way for others in our situation to get in touch with riders in their area to ride with so they can ride with less concern about the dangers of riding alone. Hope to hear from you soon.
God Bless. Mike

Mike, have you ever ridden through the Clear Creek area? It's not far from Hollister and is a great place for a day ride. It takes me about two hours to get over there from Visalia. When I'm able we will get together for some rides.
Be sure to checkout the threads I mentioned, you will get a good idea of the riding we do over here in the Sierra/Sequoia area. You have been through alot, makes me feel lucky, hang in there and fight.
Wishing you well, Perry
Ps welcome to ADV, you will like it here.
Cancer Fighter Riders:thumb

Mikengrace 01-11-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 23181528)
Mike, have you ever ridden through the Clear Creek area? It's not far from Hollister and is a great place for a day ride. It takes me about two hours to get over there from Visalia. When I'm able we will get together for some rides.
Be sure to checkout the threads I mentioned, you will get a good idea of the riding we do over here in the Sierra/Sequoia area. You have been through alot, makes me feel lucky, hang in there and fight.
Wishing you well, Perry
Ps welcome to ADV, you will like it here.
Cancer Fighter Riders:thumb

Hey Perry?
Yes, I have ridden the clear creek area many times. Although it has been a while since the last time. I have been trying to get back out there lately. Just haven't made it yet. There is a lot of ice there when cold and I am concerned about taking a fall by myself. I know it sounds whimpy, but with my bones as soft as they are I can't take the risk by myself. There are some great roads to connect together for a dual sport ride, and the off road area is huge. But they have closed a lot of the off road stuff in recent years. I hear they are not enforcing it though. Either way, the main road/trail through the area is a county road and therefore open to dual sports. It would be a great ride from my home as I live about 60 miles north of there. The loop from here through Clear Creek and back to here would be about 150 miles. But I could meet you in New Idria (an abandoned mining town on the north edge) or Colinga (a oil town on the south side). Let me know when and if you might be up for it. Hope yor recovery is going smoothly. Go Cancer Fighter Riders and God bless you.

pcvance 01-11-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikengrace (Post 23197394)
Hey Perry?
Yes, I have ridden the clear creek area many times. Although it has been a while since the last time. I have been trying to get back out there lately. Just haven't made it yet. There is a lot of ice there when cold and I am concerned about taking a fall by myself. I know it sounds whimpy, but with my bones as soft as they are I can't take the risk by myself. There are some great roads to connect together for a dual sport ride, and the off road area is huge. But they have closed a lot of the off road stuff in recent years. I hear they are not enforcing it though. Either way, the main road/trail through the area is a county road and therefore open to dual sports. It would be a great ride from my home as I live about 60 miles north of there. The loop from here through Clear Creek and back to here would be about 150 miles. But I could meet you in New Idria (an abandoned mining town on the north edge) or Colinga (a oil town on the south side). Let me know when and if you might be up for it. Hope yor recovery is going smoothly. Go Cancer Fighter Riders and God bless you.

Mike, thank you. Soon we will ride, that sounds like a great loop you have planned. I like that area, ive been there a couple of times. My prognosis couldn't be better, I just need time to heal from surgery.:eek1
Perry

Mikengrace 01-12-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcvance (Post 23197984)
Mike, thank you. Soon we will ride, that sounds like a great loop you have planned. I like that area, ive been there a couple of times. My prognosis couldn't be better, I just need time to heal from surgery.:eek1
Perry

Sounds good. Great to hear your doing well. Man you sure get around this forum. Everywhere I look I see your name. Sounds like you've got a lot of good people around you. Clear Creek sounds like fun.
Mike.

Hesaid 01-12-2014 09:58 PM

Howdy Mike. Man, I wish we'd known a little earlier, we went to Hollister in November ( you can read about that trip HERE). As it is though, I'm sure we can make an other trip. Lemme holler into the next room.

Ok, Shesaid is up for it. Might be a few weekends, but we'll start checking our schedules and let you know. Now, we're pretty new riders, and not terribly fast, or off road adventurous, and nowhere near as off road skilled as Perry, but... We're always up for a good time.

We'll be in touch.

MV

Mikengrace 01-13-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesaid (Post 23206407)
Howdy Mike. Man, I wish we'd known a little earlier, we went to Hollister in November ( you can read about that trip HERE). As it is though, I'm sure we can make an other trip. Lemme holler into the next room.

Ok, Shesaid is up for it. Might be a few weekends, but we'll start checking our schedules and let you know. Now, we're pretty new riders, and not terribly fast, or off road adventurous, and nowhere near as off road skilled as Perry, but... We're always up for a good time.

We'll be in touch.

MV

Thanks MV.
That sounds great. Thanks for thinking about including me. I would love to join the group. Either Hollister or Clear Creek are fine with me. Although I know Hollister Hills much better and it is far more convenient for me, I am more than willing to go either place. Plus although I have been riding for many years, my riding has become fairly conservative due to my health. Meaning, I don't like to take to many unnecessary chances. From what I have read, you guys sound like a great group. Looking forward to riding with you. I am no where near the rider Perry sounds to be either. But, I get there sooner or later.
Mike C.
Hey I just read your ride report on the ride to Hollister. I have been on all those roads many times. It was almost as if I was there with you. After getting some idea of who you are I am really looking forward to meeting up with you. I only live about 8 miles from Hollister Hills and I ride there often. I know HWY 25 and Cienega Rd extremely well. There are a few other roads I can show you or we can ride that are pretty cool as well. Hope we get the chance soon.

woodsxr 01-28-2014 09:18 PM

Hey Mike, I sent you a PM.
I would like to meet up and ride when time allows.
I Have a plated Honda XR650R that I don't take out as much as I should.
Talk to you soon

pcvance 01-29-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsxr (Post 23337476)
Hey Mike, I sent you a PM.
I would like to meet up and ride when time allows.
I Have a plated Honda XR650R that I don't take out as much as I should.
Talk to you soon

Mike, how are you? I go to see my doctor tomorrow, I hope to get a release so we can plan a ride soon...
Perry

pyxie 01-29-2014 06:13 PM

Hi Mike! That is so cool of you to post this. As of this coming weekend I will be breast cancer free for 3 years. I understand how frustrating it can be with the limitations our bodies (and doctors) put on us for riding.

But ya know what? As long as you feel good, there's nothing better to the soul and health than getting on your bike and going out for a ride...be it short or long! :clap I remember spending chemo days hugging the toilet then feeling well enough to do a rip to the foothills. THAT was my meditation and relaxation.

I'm up north in Roseville (by Sacramento). I would love to meet you and keep you company on some rides! I'll coordinate with my husband and few other fellow riders to plan a ride your way in the next few months. :D See you soon!

pcvance 01-29-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyxie (Post 23344878)
Hi Mike! That is so cool of you to post this. As of this coming weekend I will be breast cancer free for 3 years. I understand how frustrating it can be with the limitations our bodies (and doctors) put on us for riding.

But ya know what? As long as you feel good, there's nothing better to the soul and health than getting on your bike and going out for a ride...be it short of long! :clap I remember spending chemo days hugging the toilet then feeling well enough to do a rip to the foothills. THAT was my meditation and relaxation.

I'm up north in Roseville (by Sacramento). I would love to meet you and keep you company on some rides! I'll coordinate with my husband and few other fellow riders to plan a ride your way in the next few months. :D See you soon!

Pyxie, I'm glad to here you are cancer free for three years. I like you,find riding to be good therapy. January first this year I discovered I had colon cancer, I had surgery the next day and it was gone! My surgeon performed a colectomy and the pathology report said stage 2, so far no chemotherapy has been prescribed.
Twenty six days post op and I'm feeling great. I look forward to this up coming ride and meeting you and Mike. Please keep me in the loop.
Perry


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014