ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The obsession with low revs on the highway (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948559)

iamcanjim 01-19-2014 09:03 PM

The obsession with low revs on the highway

Whenever a new bike is introduced, members here wail and go on about how high the bike will be revving at 80, 90 or 100 mph.

I don't get it.

Perhaps I trust the manufacturer too much, but I always figure that they have designed the bike to be at an optimal rpm at 70 mph.

However, it seems that everyone always claims it is 'revving too high.'

Why do we dislike bikes revving high? Is it longevity concerns? Vibration? Noise (that can probably be fixed by putting the stock pipe back on). Or just a subjective aesthetic concern?

Idle 01-19-2014 09:27 PM

Quite simply, they are brick stupid..

They don't understand that the wind resistance increases exponentially the faster you go. Their bike goes just fine at 10 mph in second gear at 2,250 rpms... So 3,500 at 70 mph is ok.

They don't understand that all engines have a sweet spot.

They don't understand that you need to hold the next gear a little longer than the last one as you accelerate.

They don't understand they are lugging their engine riding in top gear around town at 50mph.

They don't understand that the manufacturers put TALL gearing on the bike to pass emissions.

They can't comprehend that an engine can return better fuel economy and a longer service life if ridden at speed at a higher rpm. It goes against everything they "know".

That is all.

windmill 01-19-2014 09:31 PM

Low RPMs are less "stressful" on the rider when doing lots of miles.

iamcanjim 01-19-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 23265969)

How?

Idle 01-19-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 23265969)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamcanjim (Post 23265985)
How?

:y0! They don't stress about their bike revving...

windmill 01-19-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamcanjim (Post 23265985)
How?

Its just the way it is.

Go ride a 250cc bike 70 mph at 6500 RPM's for 500 miles on the freeway, then ride a big displacement cruiser 70 mph at 3000 RPM's for 500 miles on the freeway.

It will be self explanatory.

windmill 01-19-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idle (Post 23266026)
:y0! They don't stress about their bike revving...

Perhaps your riding style and choice of bikes has been limited in scope and you simply can't appreciate things outside your experience?

TrashCan 01-19-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 23266055)
Its just the way it is.

Go ride a 250cc bike 70 mph at 6500 RPM's for 500 miles on the freeway, then ride a big displacement cruiser 70 mph at 3000 RPM's for 500 miles on the freeway.

It will be self explanatory.

You may want to reread the first post again.
He wasn't talking about two different size bikes.
Or else I completely misread the post...but I don't think I did.

Peak torque for my bike is 7250 rpm, this puts the bike right at 70 per cent of the 10,500 rpm range.
I think they got it spot on for highway cruising.

windmill 01-19-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 23266150)
You may want to reread the first post again.
He wasn't talking about two different size bikes.
Or else I completely misread the post...but I don't think I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamcanjim (Post 23265865)
Why do we dislike bikes revving high? Is it longevity concerns? Vibration? Noise (that can probably be fixed by putting the stock pipe back on). Or just a subjective aesthetic concern?

I took it to be a generic question about high RPMs, maybe I was mistaken.

I have owned a lot of different bikes in many configurations, and have found the ones that can cruise at lower RPMs to be more relaxing to ride for long distances.

I was simply relating my personal experiences and opinions.

rat110 01-20-2014 02:09 AM

my VFR sits on 5000rpm at 120km/h. Humms my balls nicely. Why change that?

hugemoth 01-20-2014 04:26 AM

Many bikes are designed to rev and there is no effect on longevity. Those bikes are typically very much over-square, big bore, short stroke. The manufacturers know what they're doing.

Offcamber 01-20-2014 04:47 AM

I understand why people want their bikes to run lower RPMs on the highway....noise and vibration would be the two big factors. IMO high frequency vibrations will fatigue the rider faster than low. I think the other misconception is they feel the bike is underpowered or geared wrong when the RPMs run high.

It all depneds on what the bike was desinged for and the engines size. My little 4 banger Ford runs at 3100 RPMs at 75 MPH....my big Dodge pickup with a V8 runs the same speed at 2200Rpms....I don't fault the Ford for that...its got half the engine but also gets 3 to 4 times the MPGs....

Ride more, worry less....

scootrboi 01-20-2014 04:48 AM

Sound is important. You have to love the sound.

ragtoplvr 01-20-2014 04:51 AM

There is less engine wear and lower fuel consumption at low RPM above the engine minimum full load RPM which can vary. This is the minimum RPM where the throttles can be fully opened and not cause excess bearing wear. Lugging an engine, is bad. Spinning one fast does use more fuel when running at part throttle. High RPM camshafts will lose efficiency at lower RPM. This is why variable valve timing is now popular.

The engine mfg should have a set of fuel consumption per horsepower curves. As you change camshafts etc for higher power and RPM, the minimum fuel consumption point moves to a higher RPM. This is why some of the little 600 sport bikes get such awful fuel economy.

To me the character of an overdrive low RPM bike is less tiring on a longer trip. I will trade off a little peak power for that or get a variable valve timing bike, and live with the increased complexity. YMMV

Rod

Uncle Pollo 01-20-2014 04:52 AM

what is low revs

middle of the tach?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:33 AM.