ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sheep's Bridge, Arizona (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950604)

sstrangee 01-28-2014 09:52 AM

Sheep's Bridge, Arizona

This Sunday (2/2/2014), a couple of dual sports and a couple of aggressive side-by-sides are heading to Sheep's Bridge and back via 7 Springs (FR24) and Bloody Basin (FR269).

I consider myself a decent technical rider, while the other dual sport is pretty noobish to dual sporting. The side-by-sides on the other hand, my 13 year daughter could drive. :)

How is the ride on this route? Is it wide enough for side-by-sides all the way to the bridge? Could someone with a new dual sport skill set be able to transverse 7 Springs (I know they could easily handle south of Cave Greek Campground, which I've been to several times) and Blood Basin all the way to the Verde?

Thanks in advance.

DurtKlod 01-28-2014 10:42 AM

The road is easily wide enough for side by sides. Watch out for Sunday traffic. The road is easily doable for a dualsport noob except there is a somewhat rocky couple of miles a little after you turn off of 7 springs and onto Bloody Basin.

2 SPOT 01-28-2014 01:48 PM

there are a few little parts here and there to keep an eye out for, creek crossings, rocky'ish sections, its a moderate ride for a beginner rider.

psycleboy 01-29-2014 06:15 AM

Watch out for the couple of water crossings at seven springs, concrete and algae. Surprisingly slippery and could plop you down in a hurry (ask me how I know). Also check out the hot springs down by the river.

refokus 01-29-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycleboy (Post 23339299)
Watch out for the couple of water crossings at seven springs, concrete and algae. Surprisingly slippery and could plop you down in a hurry (ask me how I know). Also check out the hot springs down by the river.

Hot springs on this route? Where?

psycleboy 01-29-2014 08:07 AM

As you ride towards the bridge, on your left there's a sandy beach with a kind of bamboo forest. In that bamboo stuff there's a small pool someone has dug out and built a bench. Kind of stinks though (sulphur, rotten-eggy) and I've been told that sometimes you'll stumble across naked folks...

DurtKlod 01-29-2014 08:47 AM

Years ago, there was a neat trail/tunnel through the bamboo stuff and somebody had put in a bathtub and built up a little patio area... pretty cool. Then it flooded and washed it all away.

2 SPOT 01-29-2014 08:53 AM

and before that there was a nice stone and cement structure with two tubs that dated back to the '30's. most likely built by the sheep herders. i remember holding my boyfriends hand as we soaked in the two tubs watching the stars at nite.

DR650SEDDY 01-29-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 SPOT (Post 23340592)
and before that there was a nice stone and cement structure with two tubs that dated back to the '30's. most likely built by the sheep herders. i remember holding my boyfriends hand as we soaked in the two tubs watching the stars at nite.

:lol3...:rofl

AZ TOM 01-29-2014 10:47 AM

Never noticed anything like that out at Sheep's Bridge. I guess way back when that's where the saying, AZ where Men are Men & the sheep are nervous :eek1

mr.slowpokey 01-29-2014 05:31 PM

Its not too difficult, just take it slow. And yes, watch out for traffic, quads and side by sides. I did it a couple years ago as a noob on my klr. If I can do it, most anyone can. :D Have done it several times since and no big deal.

Kevinsterner 01-29-2014 06:47 PM

Watch for traffic

Traffic is the biggest danger. Be careful around blind corners. Also I was there last week and just west of the T intersection of 269 and 24 is a huge rut across the road. It will sneak up on you and it is deep. It is less than 1/8 mile from the intersection.

sstrangee 01-29-2014 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys! We changed out time to Saturday due to the Superbowl... Go figure! :)

If you're up that way, see ya Saturday!

mr.slowpokey 01-31-2014 02:35 PM

Superbowl, whats that? :lol3 Going riding.

2 SPOT 01-31-2014 02:47 PM

well i'd maybe see ya sunday if ya werent all gayed out on men in tights slapping each other on the ass,,,,, no thanks, i'll ride.
besides the superbowl should help reduce the traffic from thos guys, you know, the bud light crowd.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:07 AM.