ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Riding up the loading ramp (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952192)

alvincullumyork 02-03-2014 04:28 PM

Riding up the loading ramp

When you load your motorcycle into your truck do you ride it up the ramp? Push it? Or walk beside it in first gear?

I almost always walk beside the bike while it's in first gear.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z2EfBPgwi8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SloMo228 02-03-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvincullumyork (Post 23383281)
When you load your motorcycle into your truck do you ride it up the ramp? Push it? Or walk beside it in first gear?

I almost always walk beside the bike while it's in first gear.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z2EfBPgwi8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't ever had to load or unload a bike without help since my bikes only go into a truck when I buy them in non-running condition. So, I just push them up. If I had to do it solo, I'd walk beside it in first gear. No way would I be confident enough to try riding it up, and that seems like half the battle - not bailing out halfway up.

Funny video, though! :lol3

Ceemack 02-03-2014 04:52 PM

I wonder if this is why Harbor Freight sells so many of those nice, low-slung 1100-lb. trailers...

Sethro303 02-03-2014 04:59 PM

I push my dirt bikes and ride ATV's. Heavy street bikes are a case by case but normally pushed because they always seem to bottom out on the frame at the top of the ramp, like in the video.
Great vid by the way! I have seen more than my share of loading fails while working at a bike shop. Like the guy who rode his Banshee through his back window.

miguelitro 02-03-2014 05:01 PM

Its really not that hard to ride a bike into a pick up with the appropriate ramp.
Mike

Rango 02-03-2014 05:30 PM

Walk alongside. Use a decent ramp. Have someone to assist.
Then share a beer. :freaky

joexr 02-03-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miguelitro (Post 23383530)
Its really not that hard to ride a bike into a pick up with the appropriate ramp.
Mike

I've been riding up my ramp for years on many different bikes and types. My ramp is 8' long and almost 3' wide. No bottoming and wide enough to put both feet down if I had to. Coming down backwards , once the front wheel is on the ramp , I can lift up my feet and roll.

cavalier55 02-03-2014 06:48 PM

I let my Husband do it!

Bucho 02-03-2014 08:34 PM

A few times in the past I rode my DR650 up into the back of the truck. Though generally I would push it up one ramp while I walked up the other.

I do remember watching a guy getting fancy and riding his quad up the ramps and jumping it a little bit into the bed of the truck. He did this several times to the great enjoyment of his friends till on his 3rd or 4th jump he smashed right through the back windshield of his truck.

I have now have a very low van and its a breeze to load up a light 2stroke.

RVDan 02-03-2014 10:43 PM

I get two people to help me push it. Truck is too tall and ramp too steep to run it in gear.

PeterW 02-04-2014 01:43 AM

Just don't stop half way and put a foot down :lol3

Pete

Kenbike 02-04-2014 02:47 AM

Almost as much fun as watching a husband yell at his wife trying to back a truck and boat trailer down the ramp while he is sitting in the boat still water and then when it finally is in position he guns the motor and runs the boat to far up the trailer.

WildmanSam 02-04-2014 03:38 AM

i'm glad i never over analyzed this procedure... i have an ~8" wide aluminum ramp that i used to load my klr. i never thought of walking along side it, although i've seen so many people do this. i find it a breeze to just ride it up; even with a flat front tire :evil.

i wonder if people just develop a mental barrier that makes this so much more difficult than it really is.

Jumping Jack Flash 02-04-2014 03:39 AM

I am in the midst of a PCS (moving) and the shippers asked me to ride my bike up the ramp last Friday. It was 2 foot wide and perhaps 8 foot long giving close to a 45 degree slope to a dock-high full size moving van.

I chickened out, told them I was not Evil Knievel and it got gently walked up the ramp without incident.

SloMo228 02-04-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildmanSam (Post 23386230)
i wonder if people just develop a mental barrier that makes this so much more difficult than it really is.

I really think that's what happens. They get halfway up the ramp, freak out, let off the throttle or jam on the brakes, and try to put a foot down. Obviously, when there's nothing to actually put your foot down on, disaster ensues. I know I'm not the most graceful or balanced person to begin with, so I will stick with pushing. :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.