ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   /5 centerstand usage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971959)

JGT 04-21-2014 11:57 AM

/5 centerstand usage

Perhaps my centerstand spring is not right, or maybe I'm just uncoordinated.

When I roll the bike off the stand, it does not retract. It is still touching the ground. Is that correct, or should it snap up when the bike rolls forward and off the stand?

With the stand still touching the ground, it is awkward to hold the bike up and get the stand retracted using one foot.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong and there is a more elegant way to make this work.

Kanticoy 04-21-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGT (Post 23987460)
Perhaps my centerstand spring is not right, or maybe I'm just uncoordinated.

When I roll the bike off the stand, it does not retract. It is still touching the ground. Is that correct, or should it snap up when the bike rolls forward and off the stand?

With the stand still touching the ground, it is awkward to hold the bike up and get the stand retracted using one foot.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong and there is a more elegant way to make this work.

Welcome to airhead center stands. That's just the way they work! Takes a little getting used to coming from a Japanese bike background but before long it'll be second nature. It is also compounded if the tang is broken from the side of the stand (which most of them are).

Biebs 04-21-2014 12:36 PM

Good information to add

Also do not sit on your bike when on the Centerstand :norton

JGT 04-21-2014 12:40 PM

I'm not sitting on it, and the tang is not broken. So perhaps that's just how it is. I can push it up into the "up" position using the tang. It's just kind of awkward and a couple of times I've almost dropped the bike standing on one leg to do this.

blaine.hale 04-21-2014 12:42 PM

As kanticoy said, that's normal behavior. 2-stage deployment, as I call it.
Grab your little side handle, throw it off the stand and kick the stand up then get on and ride away. Simple, just takes some getting used to.

JustinLonghorn 04-21-2014 03:46 PM

And try not to roll it over your back foot.

boxerboy81 04-21-2014 08:28 PM

It'll likely spring into the up position the first bump you hit. Try just riding off with it still down a few times and monitor its behaviour.

You may not need to worry about tipping the bike if the flick back with your foot is awkward. Practice makes better though.

Thorazine 04-21-2014 09:19 PM

I love that solid pig iron sound it makes when it thunks down on the pavement.

dm635 04-22-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biebs (Post 23987768)
Also do not sit on your bike when on the Centerstand :norton

Never heard that. What's issue?

Pokie 04-22-2014 10:50 AM

The bad part about sitting on the bike when you push it off the center stand is when you get it part way off the stand and you loose your footing or a foot slips and it doesn't go off the stand. Instead, the bike falls back onto the stand and bangs the stops. Doing this a few times not only damages the stops but it will also bend the stand. For those of you who push the bike off the center stand while sitting on it and say "Oh it never falls back on the stand!" you are only fooling yourself.

Another thing to watch out for or to add to your maintenance list, is keeping the center stand bolts tight. Each time you pull the bike up onto it's center stand, the stand pivots try to tighten the left mounting bolt while trying to loosen the right one. I find the right center stand mounting bolt loose on almost every bike I work on.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 PM.