ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The Thing About a Liter Bike ... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976222)

Jim Moore 05-07-2014 10:28 AM

The Thing About a Liter Bike ...

The thing about a liter bike is this. It's like a transporter from Star Trek. It enables you to bend and manipulate the commonly understood properties of time and space, traffic-wise.

Example, you're merging onto the interstate. In your car, you think to yourself, "If I speed up I can get to that gap ahead of the car next to me." With a normal bike, you start to think three, maybe four cars ahead. With a liter you are suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hey, I can make that gap fifteen cars ahead!" And off you go. Opportunities appear that you would never even consider on a typical bike, much less a car. Like someone said about lane-splitting, "It's like time travel, only it's real."

catweasel67 05-07-2014 11:16 AM

The thing about a litre bike...

Power enables. And more power enables even quicker.

Just what it enables is entirely up to you.

Ginger Beard 05-07-2014 01:18 PM

I rode a turbo Hayabusa for a while... it made things on the horizon become things in your mirrors at a pace that was quicker than your mind could process... I stopped looking for gaps in traffic and started noticing park benches where I could sit and calm my nerves:lol3

Mr_Gone 05-07-2014 02:26 PM

Time travel might be possible with a liter bike, but somehow I still can't outrun the Motorola.... :deal

bemiiten 05-07-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 24111014)
With a liter you are suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hey, I can make that gap fifteen cars ahead!" ."

Yes you can, the question is should you?

Rgconner 05-07-2014 03:09 PM

That is the thing about liter bikes....

500cc are taken from your brain pan.

Contevita 05-07-2014 03:12 PM

I know what you mean. Last Friday night, around midnight, I met a couple of friends to eat and talk BS. By the time we left it was just after 2am and decided to take the interstate home, it's about an 8 mile stretch and it's three lanes wide with just a couple of big rigs as traffic. I look down and I'm doing 120mph and decide I should slow down......screw it, I maintain my velocity to my exit and I feel refreshed. It's not every day I get to rocket down the interstate with no traffic.

devo2002 05-07-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

The thing about a liter bike is this. It's like a transporter from Star Trek. It enables you to bend and manipulate the commonly understood properties of time and space, traffic-wise.

Example, you're merging onto the interstate. In your car, you think to yourself, "If I speed up I can get to that gap ahead of the car next to me." With a normal bike, you start to think three, maybe four cars ahead. With a liter you are suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hey, I can make that gap fifteen cars ahead!" And off you go. Opportunities appear that you would never even consider on a typical bike, much less a car. Like someone said about lane-splitting, "It's like time travel, only it's real."

Way to aim high :lol3

Albie 05-07-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Gone (Post 24112759)
Time travel might be possible with a liter bike, but somehow I still can't outrun the Motorola.... :deal

Yer doing it wrong, trust me. :evil

Albie 05-07-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bemiiten (Post 24112975)

Nah, the question is, "what am I gonna have for dinner tonight." :lol3

RedShark 05-07-2014 03:30 PM

"I'm at the apex already ?! That was quick..."

Gotta keep up, you know.

Jim Moore 05-07-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bemiiten (Post 24112975)

Of course you should, silly. I mean, really.

joexr 05-07-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you have to choose your battles. Time and place. :deal

tkent02 05-07-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Not with that attitude.

cccolin 05-07-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

I feel you. the first day I rode my liter bike, I learned what it actually feels like to go through one of those warp speed tunnel visualizations in scifi movies. and goddammit, it sure is hard to watch the traffic periphery when everything in your vision goes timebent :eek1

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:01 PM.