ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   A breakdown, a cowboy and a matchless owner. Seriously. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991607)

hotrdd 07-05-2014 09:13 AM

A breakdown, a cowboy and a matchless owner. Seriously.

I couldn’t make this up. Yesterday while leaving work in downtown “cow town” Calgary my 2005 KTM 950 S stalled at a light. I tried to restart it but the only way to even get even a little life out of it was to gingerly play with the throttle. But there was no way I was going anywhere. I rolled the bike to the side of the road where there was a small cal-de-sac. Jumped off the bike and called my friend to see if he was around with his truck. Just happened that he was about three blocks away, leaving work J So I started looking for a ditch or hill that we could use the bike when a fellow watering his grass asked if he could help me. So I asked him if he knew of a good loading spot. He had a better idea. How about I use the ramps for his motorcycle J Turns out he has a very, very old 1950 something matchless that he showed me that unfortunately was damaged in the floods last year but would defiantly be restored. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
So there I am within 10 minutes with a truck, ramps and a new friend. Ready to load the bike up when a cowboy is wondering down the street and asks if he can help? SURE! So we line up the bike and I give the 3 count. 1… 2…. And before I could say three the bike is already in the back of the truck. So now I have a broken bike… but some cool new friends and a story to share.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
THE BIKE had been sitting in the underground parkade of my office for a few days and the battery was dead. So I threw it on the trickle charger for the day while I was at work. When I went down after work the bike fired up just fine and I drove off. It wasn’t until a dozen or so blocks later that the bike just stalled at a light. And then would start but only if I played with the throttle. I suspect either fuel or electrical and am about to go out to the shop to start doing some testing.<o:p></o:p>
Any suggestions where to look and what to test?

hotrdd 07-05-2014 09:53 AM

so now I'm more scared. Went out to look at the bike and while cranking it over it was doing the same thing as yesterday. It would "kind of" start and idle. But any throttle and it would stall. So I thought maybe fuel. So I added a 1/2 gallon to each side which topped the tanks up. Then cranked it again. FINALLY it started running. Then after a minute of idle I was able to grab the throttle and its running normal.

so now what do I do? I don't need another breakdown. But how do I test if its not acting up ��

renogeorge 07-05-2014 11:23 AM

Fuel Pump??

spafxer 07-05-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renogeorge (Post 24548952)
fuel pump??

+1

maloryII 07-05-2014 12:51 PM

Sounds like what happened when my FP died. Easy fix, just order a new one and plug and play.

hotrdd 07-05-2014 03:10 PM

so its normal for it to just start working again?

is it safe to ride it while I Wai for a fuel pump ⛽ or will I only get a few more miles out of it?

would you order two fuel pumps right away? Are they really a consumable part?

renogeorge 07-05-2014 03:36 PM

Do a little search and read on fuel pumps. Stockers have points (like an old school distributor) which make and break the circuit to the pump. Various upgrades--all probably a lot less $ than OEM. Facet automotive/aircraft pump, Dr. Bean mod which replaces points with solid state setup and vacuum pump. For my 2 cents, OEM is out of the question. I have had great luck with the Facet--readily available, durable and cheap.

zeegman 07-05-2014 03:58 PM

Fuel Pump Fail

The fuel pump on the 950 adventure is based on contact points which close a circuit to fire a solenoid pushing a membrane in and out sucking and pushing fuel through the pump (with the help of one way valves like your heart) to your carbs.

The current flowing in the contact points is quite large and eventually electrically "burns" the points away to the point of failure. This can happened anywhere from 0 to tens of thousands of miles but will eventually happen. I pulled my pump to inspect at 10K miles and they were already very worn down.

Your do not have to buy another new pump and have 4 main options:
1. buy new contacts and replace - requires a bit of soldering.
2. Replace with a vacuum style pump which does not use points.
3. Bypass large current in points with a FET Diode
4. use Dr Bean optical switch kit

#1 is moderate cost but will fail again at some point.

Contact point can be purpased at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Point-Switch-for-out-of-tank-pump-Honda-Kawasaki-KTM-Suzuki-Yamaha-/231272836687?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash= item35d8ef6e4f&vxp=mtr

#3 is the cheapest cost and requires some soldering skills but is not very tough. Should only be done with points in good condition as it still uses them.
#4 Dr Bean kits is less work and very nicely built with great instructions.
#2 is the most cost and work but many have had success.

I have tried #3 and #4 and they both work great.

Dr Bean kit info here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823347

And other details are here:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Garage/Engine/fuel_pump/fuel_pumps_index.html

Mike Z

Denalidirt 07-05-2014 03:59 PM

before you replace the fuel pump.

I would check the wires from the fuel pump to the factory connector. Check the wires and connector. My connector on occasion would short out and the pump would stop then work then top. I just removed the connector and hard wired the existing, facet, pump.

hotrdd 07-05-2014 08:14 PM

Awesome. I'll see what I can find locally and get back to you guys.we never have the same access to stuff that you Americans do :ddog:ddog:ddog:cry

Gustavo.Ramos 07-06-2014 02:52 AM

DrBean solution. Great piece of kit.

:norton

Peanuts 07-06-2014 12:03 PM

The reason it works when you top up the tanks is gravity is helping the fuel to flow to the carbs.

I would fit a new battery as it sounds like yours is on the way out as well.

FtheRedSticker 07-06-2014 05:52 PM

Take a few minutes to check the connections with the battery. Yesterday my 950 died on me twice at a gas station. Then rode 100 mes with no issues. Today it completely showed no electrical power once I hit the starter switch. I found the positive connection loose. Cleaned up both connections, tightened them down, and problem solved. Look for the easy stuff first

maloryII 07-07-2014 08:47 AM

For what it's worth, I went the vacuum fuel pump (a Weber, IIRC) route and it never worked properly -- constantly had fuel pressure issues. Maybe I just had bad luck, as many others have converted successfully -- but the stock Mitsu fuel pump is relatively inexpensive and while it'll fail eventually, my first lasted 22,000 miles. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "weak point" of the bike. It's just an expendable item that needs to be replaced every year or two.

NeptuneTriton 07-07-2014 10:57 AM

When troubleshooting, I always start simple and then work my way up from there.

You said the bike had been sitting for a few days, causing the battery to die? IMHO, your battery shouldn't die in that short a period of time. You'd be surprised how many problems can be caused by a weak or dying battery, so I'd start there.

Is is possible your bike may have been sitting longer than a few days? If so, it could be a fuel problem....you may have gotten bad gas. OR, if you filled up with fuel containing ETHANOL, after a few days of sitting, the fuel and the ethanol will separate, which could have caused your problem. Topping the bike off with fresh fuel may have alleviated this.

So, I'd tackle your problem in this order:

1. Replace Battery and check all connections for looseness or corrosion.
2. Run a new tank of fuel, adding a carb cleaner like Seafoam in it.
3. Investigate fuel pump and replace if necessary.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:48 AM.