ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Barstow to Laughlin (Oct or Nov) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993395)

Molonlabemike 07-12-2014 01:30 PM

Barstow to Laughlin (Oct or Nov)

Hey Guys!

I am looking to do a ride out of Barstow or possibly Palmdale to Laughlin to complete the old government trail. Wondering if anyone has done it and if so what should one expect?

Also if anyone might want to ride it with please post up. More details I guess as I figure out what Month and days would work best.

spafxer 07-13-2014 07:34 AM

Look up the Mojave Trail and you should find a number of Ride Reports..

Expect............ Sand ! and having lots of fun !

Mojave Mutt 07-13-2014 10:13 AM

The sandy parts are probably the most fun. The rest is easy dirt roads. Scenery is nice and the historical aspect of the Mojave Road is significant. For me, camping mid way around Cima Rd/Tutonia Peak trail and just doing day rides from there offer the best riding and cool locations.

I prefer the Mojave Road as a 4x4 camp trip in my truck. Pretty relaxing drive with a couple nights camping. Need to avoid Soda Dry Lake after a rain . The lake bed minerals are very corrosive.

I've lived in the Mojave Desert most of my life. There many great ride opportunities, the Mojave Road is nothing special except for the historical importance of the road. There is much more to see. On a long bike ride to Laughlin I like to drop in from the north, coming through Searchlight as a last gas stop. But I prefer trails and washes over roads.
If you want to do the ride from Apple Valley instead of Barstow I have plenty of parking at my house.

Glenn

Countdown 07-13-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt (Post 24606072)
There many great ride opportunities, the Mojave Road is nothing special except for the historical importance of the road. There is much more to see.

+1 Did it twice my first and last time. The sand whoops were from hell.

Mojave Mutt 07-13-2014 02:13 PM

That's funny Jerry! I did the same thing. First time on Mojave Road on a bike from Apple Valley to Avi was fun mostly because was riding with a bunch of friends from 100's MC and our sons.

When we got up next morning we had light rain but weather temps were nice so no biggie. By the time we got to Mojave Rd./ Kelbaker crossing we all said F this we know better riding here. So we headed for the old B to V race course and rode it backwards to Minneola then to our trucks at Yermo KOA. Best part of the whole trip.
I will repeat that it is fun on a jeep or 4x4 truck trip .

Ol Man 07-13-2014 02:46 PM

I have never done the Mojave Road on my bike, but I have done it numerous times with my Jeep and camped. This book is a must have for the ride:

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html

In the Jeep, my wife would read it at each of the points of interest or just driving along. The book is written East to West.

It is due to Casebier's efforts that we still have this as an exploration opportunity.

Countdown 07-13-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Man (Post 24607369)
In the Jeep, my wife would read it at each of the points of interest or just driving along. The book is written East to West.

It is due to Casebier's efforts that we still have this as an exploration opportunity.

Another two +1s! History of road is great and Casebier worked his ass off to keep it out of Wilderness.

AZ TOM 07-13-2014 03:03 PM

If there is a more fun ride than the Mojave Rd I have yet to see it:clap

Molonlabemike 07-19-2014 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I won a two night stay at the Avi "resort" that I have to use by the end of the year so I figured I would make use of it :deal

I'm thinking I could make a few day trip out of it for once the desert cools down a little. Looks like I have some planning to do :clap

Molonlabemike 07-19-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt (Post 24606072)
The sandy parts are probably the most fun. The rest is easy dirt roads. Scenery is nice and the historical aspect of the Mojave Road is significant. For me, camping mid way around Cima Rd/Tutonia Peak trail and just doing day rides from there offer the best riding and cool locations.

I prefer the Mojave Road as a 4x4 camp trip in my truck. Pretty relaxing drive with a couple nights camping. Need to avoid Soda Dry Lake after a rain . The lake bed minerals are very corrosive.

I've lived in the Mojave Desert most of my life. There many great ride opportunities, the Mojave Road is nothing special except for the historical importance of the road. There is much more to see. On a long bike ride to Laughlin I like to drop in from the north, coming through Searchlight as a last gas stop. But I prefer trails and washes over roads.
If you want to do the ride from Apple Valley instead of Barstow I have plenty of parking at my house.

Glenn

Thanks for the tips Matt, I grew up in the IE and spent lots of time in the desert (riding, racing in MDR, camping Shooting). I really wanted to see a different side of the desert and really test myself. I'll have to post up once I get everything figured out, maybe I'll get lucky and someone will want to tag along :freaky

TemeculaTim 07-21-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molonlabemike (Post 24651110)
Thanks for the replies guys. I won a two night stay at the Avi "resort" that I have to use by the end of the year so I figured I would make use of it :deal

I'm thinking I could make a few day trip out of it for once the desert cools down a little. Looks like I have some planning to do :clap

There is lots of great riding from the AVI- its a good place to stage from. In addition to the Preserve, there is some real fun single track above Laughlin and sand washes and rocky trails between Bullhead City and Oatman across the river in AZ.

TT

Mojave Mutt 07-22-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TemeculaTim (Post 24669038)
There is lots of great riding from the AVI- its a good place to stage from. In addition to the Preserve, there is some real fun single track above Laughlin and sand washes and rocky trails between Bullhead City and Oatman across the river in AZ.

TT

Yep I agree with Tim on this. We like to do a loop from AVI to Searchlight and back.

wbbnm 07-22-2014 07:16 AM

There is a really fun primitive alternative to the Old Government road between Black Canyon road and 95.

It takes off about a mile north of the Hole in the Rock. I have tracks in both GPSXchange and dualsportmaps from a ride back in 2010.

Not too much sand, mainly only on arroyo crossings

speedygee68 07-22-2014 10:09 PM

Last year's ride started at Peggy Sue's Diner and went to the Avi. I had one bike gettin suspension and the other had electrical probs just before the start so I missed out big time. I believe there were about 8 guys in the ride and heard it was a blast. If you post up something in Oct, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Molonlabemike 07-26-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedygee68 (Post 24677137)
Last year's ride started at Peggy Sue's Diner and went to the Avi. I had one bike gettin suspension and the other had electrical probs just before the start so I missed out big time. I believe there were about 8 guys in the ride and heard it was a blast. If you post up something in Oct, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Sounds good, starting to get my parts to make the trip a little more fun on my pig (DR650). More to come once I can start mapping it out :freaky

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 AM.