ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Beginning of the end for CA bikers? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997182)

hefy_jefy 07-27-2014 09:39 AM

Beginning of the end for CA bikers?
 
http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...om-chp-website
I did not know about these guidelines until now, they seem very sensible, with the exception that you need to keep an eye in the mirror for the kids...
Sign the AMA petition if you think it might help.

jesusgatos 07-27-2014 12:12 PM

The way I read that, the guidelines are being treated like sex education. Better not to promote it, or even to discuss how to do it safely. Don't think that means it's going to become illegal.

jesusgatos 07-27-2014 12:30 PM

Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it. Had read those guidelines before, while searching for laws regarding lane-splitting. Can see how guidelines could be interpreted as some kind of rules to follow, but there are no laws regarding lane-splitting. Would not surprise me at all if CA outlaws lane-splitting, but doubt it'll have anything to do with this. Someone just got upset because they thought law enforcement officers were endorsing it by publishing those guidelines. There's something about it in the CA DMV handbook too. Wonder if they'll remove it.

OldPete 07-27-2014 12:53 PM

What a thread title! You sir are an asshat. :kat
Nothing was remove, it was just move and made harder to find because a fellow asshat got his panties in a wad. Mkay?

The sky is not falling. We can even buy CHP helmets w/o the logo. Sheesh, get a grip.

Colorado_Rider 07-27-2014 02:43 PM

Yes, very lame thread title. Lane splitting might actually be embraced by this point if not for the buttplugs that abuse the privilage.

mach1mustang351 07-27-2014 03:17 PM

The way I understand it lane splitting became legal in California because of the Olympics in 1984. It was nearly impossible to make it around the city with the increased traffic, couriers rode bikes and were able to split lanes to keep the commerce rolling... may not be true. Something I was told.

OldPete 07-27-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 (Post 24709997)
The way I understand it lane splitting became legal in California because of the Olympics in 1984. It was nearly impossible to make it around the city with the increased traffic, couriers rode bikes and were able to split lanes to keep the commerce rolling... may not be true. Something I was told.

At age 8 in 1955, standing between my Dad's legs holding onto the Pontiac's streering wheel I can recall motorcycles passing between cars.

Lane sharing, splitting traffic or filtering has never been ill-eagle in California.

http://www.menifee247.com/2007/06/wh...s-legal-in.htm

"Lane splitting" is what someone does when he or she rides their motorcycle in between slow-moving cars on a freeway. The article says that this practice goes way back to the days when all motorcycles had air-cooled engines, and needed to keep moving to prevent overheating.

I suppose there's some truth to that, though today, many air-cooled motorcycles don't overheat when stopped on freeways.

The reason why California remains as the only state in the union to allow lane-splitting is because of safety.

Several years ago, lawmakers in Sacramento drafted a bill to make lane-splitting illegal, thinking it would save more lives. However, the California Highway Patrol lobbied against the bill, on grounds that it cause more bikers to die.

That is, if motorcyclists were forced to wait behind slow moving or stopped vehicles, they run the risk of getting rear-ended by other vehicles. This happens all too often on freeways, where drivers fail to pay attention to stopped traffic up ahead. Rear ending a motorcycle is almost always fatal for the biker.

That's why the CHP wants bikers to split lanes, to protect them from drivers not paying attention.

The CHP used accident fatality data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to show that a frequent cause of deaths in motorcycle accidents in other states are car drivers rear-ending motorcycles.

That's why the California State Legislature changed its mind and allowed lane-splitting to remain legal.

I put about 30,000 miles each year on my two motorcycles. I've witnessed many "rear-end" accidents between two cars on the freeway. When a car gets rear-ended, the driver usually survives. But when it happens to a motorcycle, the biker almost always dies. If lane-splitting were legal in all 50 states, a lot more people would be alive today.

kojack06 07-27-2014 05:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYszt...e_gdata_player

Jim Bronson splitting lanes in the opening sequence for the series "Then Came Bronson ".

Foot dragger 07-27-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider (Post 24709812)
Yes, very lame thread title. Lane splitting might actually be embraced by this point if not for the buttplugs that abuse the privilage.

Lame is putting it very mildly,makes less then no sense as a title.

Bill Harris 07-27-2014 06:29 PM

205. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995843

Aj Mick 07-27-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusgatos (Post 24709122)
Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it. Had read those guidelines before, while searching for laws regarding lane-splitting. Can see how guidelines could be interpreted as some kind of rules to follow, but there are no laws regarding lane-splitting. Would not surprise me at all if CA outlaws lane-splitting, but doubt it'll have anything to do with this. Someone just got upset because they thought law enforcement officers were endorsing it by publishing those guidelines. There's something about it in the CA DMV handbook too. Wonder if they'll remove it.

I honestly can't understand why lane splitting is illegal in much of the USA, when it is legal and normal in most of the rest of the world… It certainly is in all the 15 or more European, Asian and Oceanic countries I have ridden in.

It is encouraged in some, with a box at the front of the lane at traffic lights, that motorcycles can filter up to.

Perhaps it is because those big fat All American style motorcycles take up almost half as much space as a small car. The smaller, narrower machines that I am more familiar with, make much more efficient use of road space, and parking space.

aalexander 07-28-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesusgatos (Post 24709122)
Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it.

That's the only reason anything is legal. Because there's no law against it. In a free society, you are free to do anything, unless there is a law against it. You don't need a law to give permission to do something, unless it would be otherwise prohibited by another law.

jesusgatos 07-28-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalexander (Post 24713054)
That's the only reason anything is legal. Because there's no law against it. In a free society, you are free to do anything, unless there is a law against it. You don't need a law to give permission to do something, unless it would be otherwise prohibited by another law.

How free are we?

mongox 07-28-2014 08:06 AM

The CHP will not let it be made illegal. If it is illegal, than they can't do it. And in the LA basin, they need to be able to split lanes to respond to accidents and other emergency calls where a car cannot make it.

catweasel67 07-28-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongox (Post 24714538)
The CHP will not let it be made illegal. If it is illegal, than they can't do it. And in the LA basin, they need to be able to split lanes to respond to accidents and other emergency calls where a car cannot make it.

LEO/1st responders can't do that in other states?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014