View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #22
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Story update: Burt headed for Bull Shoals, AL after Pickwick State Park to see a friend. Mike & I finished Tenn, Miss and into Ark.
In Helena, AR we looked at the local weather & Weather Channel and noted we were going to get wet. We decided to go until we got rained on and break for home.
Burt said he would met us in Helena about 7:30AM the next day.
We again checked the weather and saw that thunderstorms were already formed and hitting the Ft Smith & Little Rock area.
After breakfast at McDonald's- we waited for Burt, about 8:15AM, Mike hit the trail to do as much of the TAT as possible.
Burt arrived at 8:45AM, had to detour around a road closure. I told him our plan- ride till rain came & head for the house.
He decided to backtrack to Clarksville, Miss to see another friend- then head to Spur, TX (his birthplace) and meet his brother Raymond.
I changed my counter sprocket back to my 15 for faster road conditions and aired up my tires.

Off I head to catch up on the TAT just North of Helena. The roads were like Miss-- very large "marble-sized" gravel-- let the "dancing" begin.

Near Marvel, AR the sky fell in!! I hid under a car wash cover for about 20 minutes- put my rain gear on and headed for I-40.

I decided to slab it home, the sky was looking bad.
I only stopped for gas-- turned off I-40 , onto Ar 23 and headed into heavy rain for about 40 miles.
Near Elkins,AR I hit a cloud burst that really made my day-- all my "stuff" got wet!!

Made it home around 3:45PM-- just in time for "Happy Hour"!!

EPILOGUE: The Eastern TAT is fine, just not like the TAT from Colorado West! The best part of the Eastern TAT is the Ozarks in Ark (my opinion). Tenn is about 80% paved, Miss about 80% gravel, Ark about 80% gravel.
Not much challenging riding on the Eastern TAT,
but nice scenery.
The adventure is always unknown-- like the weather!!
Enjoyed the ride!!!
Continental Divide Ride next in August!!

Lee Ullmann
Rogers,AR

LeeU screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 09:25 AM
LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote