View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
MZcountryboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,440
Early Season Trans Labrador - Solo

took off yesterday (saturday morning) for Labrador, now (sunday night) sitting here in my hotel room in Labrador City, drying out my camping gear. Let's cover day one first.

Leaving home, note the extra light packing job, yes I have cooking gear and camping stuff! Gotta be light on a single!

Up through VT cross the border at Norton, no troubles, up through Thetford Mines, Quebec City, onto the RTE 138 on the North side of the St Lawrence Seaway.

First ferry crossing is on the 138 @ Tadoussac It's a nice day so far

This connects the 138 w/o a bridge, free ferry - cool only takes a few minutes.

View of the sister ship (they run two boats even!)

After reaching the other side, you see this not too far out, note the kickin' knobby tires.

Quebec has lots of pull offs/rest areas along the shoreline, some even have running water + flush toilets. FREE. In the states, you'd be paying, or blocked by "private" signs. Here's another with a sandy beach.

Note the rain-spotted pavement, a sign of things to come......

At the next pulloff, near Ragueneau, there was some really nice views, and some cool stuff.

There is a HUGE obelisk there, and some ce-ment dinosaurs!

Next stop, Baie Comeau, start of the Quebec 389 north.

On the way, Manic - 1 Hydo dam

The backside -

Entering into Baie Comeau, they have a sweet Metal scuplture in the middle of a roundabout

A quick out back poach of some hotel wi-fi to check in with the Missus, and I hang the left onto the 389 N

It's about 6:30 pm at this point, but nice out, so I keep on keepin' on -

Hydro dam Manic 2 is on the way -

After this it's find a rambo-camping spot in the bush.

In between, I encounter horrific lightning, rain, hail, and wind. Now I'm wet. Dammit.

I decide to ride through the cloudburst (can see brightspots on the other side of the cloud)

I make it through, and find a place to camp. Those clouds are the real deal.

570 miles for the day, I actually managed to get set up without it raining on me.

More soon, don't want to lose it all with one wrong keystroke!

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 01:36 PM
MZcountryboy is online now   Reply With Quote