View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Cool2 Central America on a Shoestring

finally, a ride report! after a year of turning wrenches on the old beemer iīm actually riding it.

The plan is to head to panama, from Georgia. iīve got the lonely planet guide for Central America. iīll show up in a country, open the book and see what it recommends.

i had planned on leaving on a monday right after a wedding. it didnīt work out like that. my gearbox started slipping and i ended up having to tear the bike apart and take the gearbox to boxerworks.

hereīs the bike on wednesday

nathan got the gearbox fixed for me in less than a day. i rode out on thursday.

edit: it didn't fix the gearbox. I was taking steep hills lugging second gear to keep from ruining the transmission.

the obligatory odo shot.

i put 3k on the bike before i got this speedo. thatīs 14,000 miles in the 7 months or so iīve actually had this bike running.

i did about 350 miles the first day and made it into mississippi. there was a heckuva thunder storm going on and i stopped early. is this stealth camping or what?

thatīs my tent back in the bushes.

i found a little trail heading out into the edge of a swamp. water squished up aound my feet when i walked but there wasnīt any dirt. the plants went on forever.

it was pouring buckets. there was a liter of water in my tent within the 3 minutes it took me to get it up. 20 minutes later, the rain stopped and it got hot. wonderful! there were a million billion mosquitos.

new invention! the moto dryer

70mph winds drys coolmax in no time.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 08-03-2009 at 09:24 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote