View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
My Ride/Race report on the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge

I decided several months ago to race the 24 Hour Challenge, problem is....no REAL dirtbike. Heck, I'll just ride my KLR.

So a few months of thought and bike preparation, the race weekend was here.

I'll start off by saying that I could not have doen this without the help of good friend and business owner Chris Branham(Branham Accessories, Cullman, Alabama for all your truck, motorcycle and atv needs ). Chris and I have worked, raced, and rode together for years, we raced the very first PMMC 24 Hour Challenge 7 years ago on a borrowed DR350. Chris has continued to race this every year since then. The team this year finished fourth in their class, a good run, but I know Chris was a bit dissappointed ....Ya'll get'em next year Chris.

I went to Branham's in Cullman on the Thursday before the race, Chris is hauling all my stuff down for me, allowing me the opportunity to ride the KLR down to the race. We mount up the IRC VE-33 tires on my wheels, and mount up new Shinko 244's on Chris KLR wheels, I'll put his wheels on my bike for the ride down, and back home after the race...(if I'm able ).

So Friday, about noon, I climb on the KLR and head South. It's about a 150 mile ride down, I stop by D&H Cycle in Cullman for a quick hello. This is where Chris and I both worked part-time a few years back, and where I bought my 31,000 mile '06 KLR new. I wanted Gerald, the owner of 33 years, to take a look at the changes I've done to my bike. He says it;s still very, VERY heavy.....really???? Gerald has always told me that if your off-road on a KLR....you chose the wrong bike. I've chose the wrong bike I guess.

I stop at ethe Clanton, Al. Wal-Mart for a case of water and a few other items...bananas, granola bars, a couple of big bottles of Pedia-Lite , etc....Planning on eating light for the next couple of days.

I arrive at PMMC and get waved down my Mark "Treeman" Powell. He had saved a pit area next to his, along with good friend Chuck "Just one more lap" Venable. I head down to Branhams pits to swap out my 16 tooth front sprocket for the race 12 tooth, and to put the wheels on. I get back to the pits to find that Mark and Chuck had put my canopy up for me...Thanks guys.

Marks bike

Chucks bike

We are all running the 40+ Ironman class, this is gonna be fun.

Me and my bike race ready(if there is such a thing with a KLR)

I've got to run now...more to come later.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote