View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Al Goodwin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
I head back out the afternoon, about a 3 hour break. Wrestling a 400lb. bike out on that hill drained me a bit. I think I should have spent a bit more time getting the body ready, the bike was as ready as a KLR could have been, I was not.

I go out and just "one-at-a-time" the laps till almost dark. The sandy parts are seat deep whoops by now, one muddy and wide creek crossing has gotten really nasty now...I'd just third gear it across aiming at the smallest rut I could find. I never got the bike stuck, momentum was my friend in several places here.

I just do 3 more laps before dark. I'd planned on riding at night, but I could only think of the mess I'd be in if I got in trouble at night with a 400 lb. bike. I decide to get some sleep.

The pit area is cool at night.

Electronic scoring, I can see just how much time I'm loosing at night.

Now I've only done 7 laps, 77 miles. My plans were to wake up as the sun's coming up and do at least 4 more laps.

I get up and on the bike, head out feeling great, a little sore, but feeling good anyhow. I find the trail has improved a little in some places, but some others are much worse...whoops that's swallow a bike, and ruts that I'd just hit and hope the bike didn't stop moving.

The first of my morning laps was great, feeling good I stay out for a second lap.

Now it turns bad again....4 miles into the lap a big rock jumps up and breaks off my left peg. . I stop and go walk the trail looking for my peg, a fellow racer stops to help, I tell him to go on I'm just looking for my peg, he tells me he's in no hurry. I find the peg and strap it onto my camelback, I drop it off at the next check station. Oh my....try one footing it around this crap on a KLR... I;d stand on the downhills, smooth parts I'd stand and place my left knee on the seat...uphills and rough stuff I'd just have to sit there...OUCH!!!! My right leg will never be the same

So this ended my race, only 9 laps....99.5 miles

I found some bolts for a repair, but they wouldn't catch enough threads were I felt I could've gone back out. They'll last for the ride home anyhow.

The old bolts

More later....some of us are at work writing this.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is online now   Reply With Quote