View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Hill Billy OP
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Day 6
It can get bloody cold out here in the desert. Things were a little icy when we arose in the morning.

Another few km of sand dune country then the road opened up into one of the best roads around. 150 or so kís of this with only about 5 bends.

This is where the Connie Sue intersects with the road to Tjuntjuntjarra aboriginal community. We restocked our water supply from the tank.

And took this car for a quick test drive

Then we were on our way south again. The road looked very good to start with but it soon deteriorated to some nasty patches of bulldust, like this one.

The piglet had a little rest here but we were soon on our way again with Colin sporting some bruised ribs.
A bit further down the road we met some vehicles coming the other way. These were the first vehicles we had seen on the road, apart from bikes leaving Carnegie, since Well 6 some 1250 km back.
40 km from the tank we turned right onto the track to the Plumridge Lakes Reserve.
Now our original plan was to turn left back at Neale Junction and go out to Ilkurlka Roadhouse where a friend works, but unfortunately he had to go to Melbourne for a conference at the time we would be visiting. So instead we organised for him to leave some fuel at this location for us, which he could do on his way to Kalgoorlie to catch his plane. Fortunately this plan worked and after about 5 minutes of riding around in the scrub the fuel supply was located, garnished with a packet of Minties, and we were soon on our way again.

The track to Plumridge lakes was my favourite part of the trip. It was just a twin track, good traction, not too sandy, and the longest straight section was about 100 metres. What a hoot. It was fairly overgrown so I was riding in the centre a fair bit which resulted in a staked rear tyre But that was a small price to pay for the fun I was having. It was only a slow leak and I didnít realise I had done it till that evening, so it didnít hinder our progress.

After about 85 kís of this we turned north toward Lake Rason. Here we stopped for lunch, Baked beans and cheese Jaffles. We always stopped for a decent lunch.

The sky was overcast and it was looking very much like rain was not far away. We were hoping to reach the western end of Lake Rason today so we pressed on. More great tracks through here until we arrived at a large fence beside the track. This puzzled me a bit, (easily done) until the reason became obvious. There was an aircraft on the ground and the fence was to keep the numerous animals off the runway, which was there to service a nearby mine. From here the track became more of a road.

We still had around 150 kís to go to where we wanted to camp and the track was quite good, but there were hundreds of roos in this area so we had to take it fairly easy. Eventually we arrived at our camp site to find it already occupied by 2 couples and their 4WDís. They invited us to stay and they cooked us dinner. They also helped repair my punctured tyre which was looking fairly flat by now. These people were very interesting and well travelled, with some great stories to tell, and it turned out that one of the couples lives just down the road from me.
This is the view across Lake Rason from the camp

Day 7

After a few very light overnight showers we arose in the morning and our hosts cooked us breakfast and told us about some places of interest along our way. I also borrowed another 5 litres of fuel because I was beginning to doubt if I would have enough to get to Laverton. I should have had plenty for this leg but the fun factor for the first couple of hundred km since refuelling yesterday seemed to soak up a few more litres.
The bush around these parts is looking pretty healthy and the track was mostly good.

There were a few sandy patches and a few rocky patches and the odd bog hole. Good thing it didnít rain too much last night.

Soon we hit a more civilised road which would take us to Laverton, about 60 kís away. Along the way we came across an abandoned mine. These guys didnít bother to clean up too much when they left. It looks like they took anything of value and left everything else right where it was. What a mess.

At Laverton we fueled up, had lunch and a couple of beers and headed for Kookynie.
Kookynie was once a thriving goldfields town but now only has a few houses and a pub, which is where we settled in for the night.

Stay tuned for the last bit.

Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote