View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
As if to prove my point from the last post, the weather forecast was totally wrong - there was no rain yesterday but it has drizzled steadily all day today.

While waiting for the rest of the group to get here, I have been spending some time in the village pub and working on The Duchess.

The major works were replacing the front brake pads with Ferodo Platimum (as recommended for maximum braking power by Michael "Mercury" Morse of Vintage Brake), and adjusting the steering head bearings to try and cure a bit of low speed wobble.

Also made some minor tweaks such as installing light throttle springs from Tony Heyman

I added the topbox (tail trunk for those in the colonies) recently and decided to enhance rear visibility with some reflective tape and another auxilliary brake light - wired to a gizmo inside the tail-light which causes it to strobe when the brakes are applied - but that can be bypassed in seconds if someone takes exception.

The biggest chore was to cut holes in the windshield and install a couple of aircraft Snap Vents - They'd better bloody well work (improve ventilation, reduce back-pressure) because installing them was an almighty pain in the arse - cutting the holes and getting them exactly round and exactly the right size was much harder and took much longer than anticipated. Also visible in the following pic are GPS mounts and the platform for mouting a rear-facing camera above my right hand.

Last year, we had some success shooting video clips with our digital cameras. As an experiment, I have knocked up a mount to put a camera low-down in a forward-facing position. The acrylic is supposed to shield the camera lens from road debris and is arranged so that the camera will be screwed down tight against the "glass" (masking tape will be removed of course ) Suggestions for improvement from anyone having tried something like this before will be gratefully received.

The mount needs some details like a place to attach a tether in case the plastic tripod screw hole in the camera breaks loose. It has two screw-down holes located so a different camera can be used - but the Fuji in the first pic is the sacrificial camera as it's rear screen crapped-out after getting soaked on last year's End-to-End ride.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 07-15-2009 at 11:19 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote