View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,614
Saturday June 13

Met the rest of the group in Bournemouth and rode to Rattery. It was a perfect day for riding, although a lot of time was spent getting from the airport and sorting out paperwork, riding gear and luggage, etc. The couple who run the rental place did a great job of making sure everyone was fully versed in the unique features of each bike and luggage system. Each bike also came with an alarmed disk lock and we got a huge security chain for the 1200RT. In addition to the 1200, we picked up an F800GS (The Dewnmoonmobile), a V-strom 650 and an SV650S. I have The Duchess of Hamilton (1985 R80RT) of course. Finally, as well as the bikes, we have a car with us - due to one of our group having recently had surgery and advised not to ride.

Much excitement along the way when a car directly in front of Dewnmoon and Mrs. Dewnmoon slammed into another car that failed to stop coming out of a side-street. Of course, Dew was at the back of the pack and we went on a few miles before we realized he wasn't catching up. It made for a very anxious few moments when I went back and saw an ambulance, fire truck and police cars but before I saw them standing unhurt by the side of the road. Dew was doing the right thing and waited around to give a police statement.

We pulled into Rattery at around 4:30pm. After meeting and greeting and getting settled, everyone was obviously jet-lagged so we didn't ride again. Some time was devoted to adding temporary power outlets and accessory mounts to the rental bikes, then my parents put on a grilled dinner for us all and after tidying and washing dishes we finished off with a stroll to the village pub.

The weather was just about perfect today. Quite a lot of photos taken but everyone turned in before getting any of them downloaded. Expect to see them soon.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 06-13-2009 at 05:01 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote