View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #37
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
larger tail rack plate

My tail plate finally arrived. 6061 powder-coated aluminum a full ” thick. 16” wide at the front and 13” wide at the rear and 8.5” deep. It uses the Touratech “large” luggage rack as a base. Simply removed the Touratech plate and replaced it with the new plate using the 4 Touratech mounting bolts.

In the pic below, that’s a 29” wide duffel on the bottom with my tent, sleeping bag, downmat, raingear and extra clothes. The plate is wide enough to support the bag with very little droop.

Even though I have the steel subframe on my '09, I think I'm going to have to go real easy on dirt and gravel when I'm fully loaded. The weight from those duffels (plus the cases) is cantilevered pretty far back. Luckily, I have relatively poor off-pavement skills so going slow and easy won't hamper me very much. (Edit: False! Rode the Lolo Trail fully loaded with all my gear and hit some really bad bumps. In fact, broke a peg bolt on one. But subframe handled the abuse just fine.)

In the next pic, the plate disappears under my RKA tail bag. Perfect! Not too big and not too small!

I’m not sure if there is any interest, but my guy has agreed to do up a batch of 10 of these if I handle the details. So I’ve started a thread in the Vendors section with more pics and all the info. Here's the link--G650 XCountry Rear Luggage Plate

DRONE screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 11:58 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote