View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
rapiti OP
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Overheating KTM 640 Adventure

Went on a woods ride yesterday, and had some cooling issues. This has been brewing for a while, and I have some questions.

1) Do the "supercool" (I forget the names) liquids do more harm than good? Better than ionized water? Recommendations (that you have used!)

2) The idiot light comes on 62 seconds before the fan kicks in. What's up with that? The fan used to come on first by a good while. What deterioration is this a sign of?

3) After riding with the idjut light on for a while, the trail crossed the road, and I went for a cruise on the road to get some air flow. It took a lot longer than I had expected for the temp. light to go out. Later, I even had it come on while doing 55-60 on the road! Does this point to the water pump? Where else?

I plan on flushing the radiators, checking the thermostat, and maybe replacing the water pump impeller. This is all new to me. Any hints/suggestions? I apologize if this has been covered before. Search (and my memory) isn't what it once was...

Gracias,

Paolo