View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #52
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
So Thursday I bit the bullet and bought a Handy Lift - something I'd been wanting to do for about three years. It came up on ebay and my friend Shawn helped me bring it back from CT. That trip took all day so I was too whipped to work on the bike.

Friday the last of my parts rolled in:

At this point I had a hard time remembering what was what so I sorted them into groups and checked the fiche. And while it was too early for wheels I wanted to put the bike up on the new lift to do the rest of the installs so I just threw them on sans spacers or disks and jacked that bike sky high. It is sooo nice to be able to work on the bike sitting on a stool and not bent over. I wish I'd done this sooner.

I now bring the laptop to the shop all the time. Aside from playing internet radio (yeah KEXP Seattle!) I use it to research ADV Rider for more instructional and thorough explanations on things. Like the point above about the shift drum - mine is fine. Getting the clutch oil jet out was made easy by the suggestion Docking Pilot made to shoot compressed air across the opening. Man, that was so easy. Today will be the water pump (Pydon's thread for help there) and maybe the wheels in earnest.

Yesterday was organizing the mess and installing the newly powdercoated alternator cover and the new preventative Evoluzione Clutch Slave. Didn't bleed it but the little bleeder they send with it is cute and I'm curious to try it. I've got about 4 different bleeding devices and anymore I just do it manually. I think I'll paint that center screw to match but it's plastic so it couldn't be powdered. It's nice to see one side cover on at least.

Then there's this:

I was bored last week and decided to polish the brake lever. Honestly I don't know if I like it. I like bling as much as the next guy but this feels a bit to close to the chromed KLR's cruising my hood in Bed Stuy. I'll leave it for now and decide later if I bead blast it back to matt. Thoughts?

Anyway, I've got to get a lot done today as it's my last day as a bachelor as the GF comes back tomorrow and then we've got guests. End of next week should be the end of it.

sakurama screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:06 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote