View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #97
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
sorry it took so long to get back on here

the battery in the laptop needs replacing and barely let me upload the pic and post the tag on here ... sitting in the shade of a bush behind the Holiday Inn Express in Brevard

the cabin is right off US276 in the Cradle of Forestry, there's a gravel pull off where Kenny & I parked, no gates, no hassles

I was in the parking lot of the BiLo(?) on the cell with phreakwife and saw a silver VFR or something like that go thru the US 64 / US276 intersection, rider was in a silver & black jacket

just as I finished the call, I saw him come back and sitting in the left turn lane for US276 West into Pisgah Forest ... but I beat him to the road

as I was taking the pic, he cruised by ... but didn't stop

so I hauled a$$ for town, and got lucky with the wireless @ the HIE ... no password needed

then I gassed up (my low fool lite was on the whole run up 276 and back) and as I was turning to go south on 276 over Ceasar's Head to Greenville, (where the replacement clutch cable for the one that almost stranded me in NH was supposed to be waiting ... details on the failed cable on the Nude Hampster Trip here) ... he went by heading towards Hendersonville.

he's gotta be one of us, he was looking for the tag I'm sure ... so 'fess up

who it was, eh??

now on the Ranger's Dwelling or the Hiram King House

"

Ranger’s Dwelling

Since 1882 this old home has offered shelter in a landscape that changed
from field to forest.

Children played on the porch with homemade dolls and button spinners, women snapped beans, and men gazed with pride across herds of cattle to the forested slopes beyond.

Hiram King, a community leader, built this two-story home, large by local standards. A carpenter by trade, he owned a sawmill and kept a number of beehives.

King sold his home and property to Vanderbilt in 1895. Dr. Schenck used the King House as a forestry employees’ residence. Ranger Jimmy Case and his family were the first to live here. They farmed, cooked, and raised children, just as they would have on a place of their own.

In 1904 Ranger Case had two daughters old enough for marriage. One day, at the same time, two suitors came to ask Mr. Case for his daughters’ hands in marriage. Mr. Case sent the girls upstairs, because “this is men’s business.”
Finding a knothole in the floor, the girls listened to the conversation below in the kitchen. Ranger Case agreed to give away his two daughters, and the family held a double wedding on the front porch.

In 1954 the two couples returned to the same porch for their 50th wedding anniversary celebration.

Later residents of the King House included ranger George Gillespie, his family, and Biltmore Forest School students, who boarded upstairs. Mrs. Gillespie cooked twice a day in the kitchen for herself, her husband and children, and eight forestry students.

Behind the house, King planted a fine garden that later became a
seedling nursery for school projects.

Each student tended a bed containing small trees, such as oak, maple,
and cherry. Just as Biltmore Forest School students lived in the house
and cared for the land around it, Forest Service rangers used the
King House as a residence and guard station until the 1960's."

OK now I'm tempted to move the tag to far away northern locales, but do we know if anyone there will take it and run with it?

thoughts???

Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote