View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #36
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed523
Thanks for the pics and story. Great trip. How did old red hold up?
Red did really well.(nearly 40K miles too never used any oil.) The sprocket failed after over 15K miles on it. We'd already bought a replacement chain/sprocket kit knowing it's days were numbered. I was hoping to put it on after the Dalton hwy.
Had a really odd failure in the middle of the Denali highway. While I was using the BLM rest area the lad was squirreling around some and stalling the bike and restarting it.
I come out and he say's the bike quit running and wouldn't restart......anyway I spend the 8 hours troubleshooting what turns out to be a shorted battery.
Since I knew the battery to be new it was the last thing I suspected. I was busy testing switches, relay's, solenoids, by passing the safety switches and cutting into the ignition wiring.
I was baffled until I came up with the bright idea of putting my battery from the green bike in. Vroom!
That sealed POS battery just up and suddenly quit. Never seen that happen.
I rig up a jumper cable with 16 gauge wire and get red started.
We push start it back to Anchorage after that. I learned everything about the KLR electrical system that day!
Fortunately we were stopped at a mighty nice spot to camp, met a nice German fellow bicycling the Denali hwy, and my son caught his first Arctic Grayling on a fly rod.
Red is somewhere in CA. now on the way back to NM.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote