View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,745
The first pass south of Pikes Peak had been on my mind for three years. I was camped at the KOA above that pass that summer. My brothers , a buddy and I were riding dirt bikes around Taylor Park, American Flag, Pearl Pass from the Aspen side, Alpine Loop, Black Bear, Engineer and some others. I saw the dirt then coming up the mountian and wondered where it started. Today I would find out. I gassed up, bought cold beer and a sandwich for tonight and headed up Gold Camp road. When it turned into a oneway street heading down I was stumped. I rode around and asked folks but they didn't know or one guy claimed to be deaf. Then I saw a guy on a street sweeper, this man would know!
greenflyfarmer > When Pigs Fly Solo Tour 09 photo
Map in hand.

Yeah he knew. Grew up in the Springs all his life, lived up on the ridge and damn if I had given him some notice he would of had me to dinner that night. I should come anyway, it would work out. It was early and I was naturally chomping at the bit. He pulled out a map and showed me that I had to ride up to the most exclusive part of the Springs, behind a high end hotel and a zoo. That would be the old Stage road. It would lead to Gold Camp which was an old rail road bed. He encouraged me to head north and around and seemed puzzled that I would want to ride the dirt. Nice guy, very nice, but he don't know, dirt is good.

The road was powder, heavily traveled. Then I figured out that the fancy hotel had a dude ranch in there. After that I was relatively alone.

It was beautiful and I felt like I had fallen through a time warp into the old west.

At the top. Left to Victor.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-27-2009 at 10:04 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote