View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
South to the KTM dealer at Gunnison. 3 weeks ago the young guy at the parts counter said he would order me tires. Invoice found but no tires. Ordered tires again and headed south, the Scorps still have life so it's ok.

I take the first left on dirt south of Gunnison.

greenflyfarmer > When Pigs Fly Solo Tour 09 photo

Standing there reading this sign, a battered car clattered up out of the woods. The guy parked and struck up a conversation. He owns a mining claim near this pass. He told me that John Fremont led a failed expedition to find this pass. They got snowed in and survivers ate the dead.
Then Gunnison surveyed the pass for the Intercontental Railroad but was killed by indians. They had enough trouble here that the rails went north in the Great Basin he figured.
The big deal he said is that 50% of all the people that went west in the wagon trains came through this pass. We talked about his mining claim. He plans to build a cabin there and isn't mining anything, but by establishing a claim there he was able to take possession of the land. Sounded like land for free to me. There was a big camp for the wagon trains further south and a good spring. I think I'll head there and spend the night.

The bugs swarmed and I decided to finish my beer and take a nap and let them calm down. I awoke to the sounds of motorcycles.

This is the dutch couple. World travelers.

They started in Canada a month ago and were working their way down to South America. After the west coast of South America they would ride up the east coast to Brazil and then fly back to Holland. Nice people. They have toured through Europe and Russa to China. Toured extensively in Africa. He is an engineer and takes care of the bikes. He enjoyed my bourbon and we had a good time. They had been on the Shadow of the Rockies Trail. Since we were all heading to Silverton we decided to
partner up the next day.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-23-2009 at 05:35 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote