Thread: Japan 6 Days
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Edmond Dantès OP
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 580
Japan 6 Days

Living in congested, cramped Tokyo, I thought it would be in the best interests of mental health to ride up to the Tohoku (Northeast) region of Honshu the main island of Japan for 6 days and see what is going on up there.
I hope to ride on roads best suited for my motorcycle as much as possible: The brilliant Honda Varadero XL1000V. That means avoiding tight twisting roads which Japan is famous for. Riding tight twisties for 8 hours a day on a heavy bike is not what I will be looking for on the trip.
I will ride a loop from Tokyo up to Iwate Prefecture and back trying not to cover the same roads twice.
I have never been up to the Tohoku Region before, so I am totally up for this.
Here is a picture of what I will be escaping from:
This is an intersection about 10 minutes from where I live. There are no less than 16 lanes of traffic passing through this intersection. It is apparently the busiest in the whole country.

The gear that needs packing. I do not have a GPS system, so it's old school paper maps for me.

The Vara and myself fully-loaded!

Outside my apartment. The June rain is still lingering.

My girlfriend, Mercédès seeing me off. Her family has a house in Kamaishi, Iwate Prefecture. I will rendezvous with her at the house in 2 days time.
As her name, Mercédès suggests, she will take the train. Sensible option.

Sayonara!
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote