View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Day 1

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

- Marcel Proust

Day 1 – June 12
Home > Ludington, Michigan > Manitowoc, Wisconsin (Super 8)
Today’s mileage: 645.4 km, Trip to date: 645.4 km

I was up pretty early today, didn’t really sleep all that soundly. I had lots on my mind. I kind of felt like a kid at Christmas. I felt both excited and nervous at the same time. I’ve done many motorcycle trips over the years but nothing close to the magnitude of what I was about to embark upon. My wife and I had spent some quality personal time together the night before as my waiting bike had been packed and re-packed for over a week now!

While my supportive wife watched on in the drive, I geared up, warmed up the bike, did a final check over and then said farewell, I love you, I’ll be back soon. I was off! The dream starts! I couldn’t help feel an up-welling of emotion at that moment. That same emotion would visit me on numerous occasions throughout this trip.

Today’s ride wasn’t anything special. It was mostly on 400 series/interstate highways to get to the far side of Michigan to catch a ferry across the lake >

http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

I had done this on a previous trip to the west and it sure beats going down through the busy Chicago traffic. The ship didn’t leave until 7:55 pm so I had all sorts of time to get there. I did get into Ludington fairly early so I found a good spot for a couple of beers and a bite to eat >

http://www.jamesportbrewingcompany.com/

It was still pretty early and I had about 3 hours to kill so I hung out at the Ludington beach. While I was sitting on a park bench enjoying the sunshine and “scenery”, I hear a motorcycle pull in behind me. It’s a lady, Corinne, riding a Volusia towing a homemade uni-wheel trailer packed to the gunwales with gear. She was quite the character. She was out for a solo camping weekend along Michigan’s West lakeshore. We chatted for about an hour then she bid me safe journey and went on her way.

The ferry ride across the lake although quite calm, was windy and cold. I didn’t spend much time out on deck. The ship wasn’t very full like the last trip I remember. Must be because it was a Friday and early in the season. It was pretty well stocked however with locally brewed libations! I had booked a motel room on the other side because I did not want to set up camp or hunt for accommodations at midnight.

Good bye

Checking in

The “Spartan”

Chasing the gulls at Ludington beach

Oh, to be younger again!

Corinne shows up

My Ship is in

Loading gangway on stern

All stowed away

Leaving port to the west

Ludington in the distance

Heading west