View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #236
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafspee
Got a couple of ideas from Motorrad Elektrik, also. Some things to check and my Hall Sensor MAY not need to be replaced, but he has just come out with upgraded replacement that sound very, very tempting. Anybody thnking of going to points might want give him a call.
I was actually one of Rick's testers for the new ignition before I DEgraded to points. I had it on my bike for a while and did experience noticeably smoother running, but with the added sophistication of an electronic advance, as well as the fact that it still uses the stock ICU, it seemed far from fail-proof to me. On the other hand points are so simple that there's really nothing that can go wrong with them that a spare $8 set of points carried under your seat won't fix on the side of the road in 15 minutes. Rick's ignition is very nicely made, a great alternative to the stock hall sensor beancan and much cheaper, but it didn't seem like an upgrade in reliability from stock.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote