View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Plan B

On Saturday morning I started prepping the second bike for a trip. I haven't ridden it much since I purchased the KTM. It hasn't been on a long ride since I beat it up on Utah backcountry gravel roads last fall. I was still hoping the KTM would get repaired today, but by early afternoon the mechanic informed me he would have to dig deeper, and it wasn't going to be done today.

Plan B implementation: The Stratosphere allowed us to move our reservation back one night without additional charges. We had made 4 camping reservations that we could no longer use(but must still pay), so we canceled those to avoid additional "no show" charges.

The Aprilia is a great bike for this trip... solo. We had planned to camp all but the first night. With only 2 smaller sidecases and no topcase we have no room to bring camping gear. The suspension wouldn't handle all the weight anyway. (I already weigh as much as two normal size persons. ) We dump the camping gear, food, Jetboil, some clothing, and the laptop. We stuff the rest in the Aprilia and decide we'll have to find motels each night.

We head out determined to have a great ride!

Day 1, Phoenix to Las Vegas

Sexy Tail!

My Aprilia is slightly used...

We get on the road in the heat. 112 degrees F.

We stop to suck down water.

Joshua Trees on the US 93.

She's got the ADV Salute down.

The Colorado River

We ride across Hoover Dam.

Lake Mead

They are making slow progress on the new bridge.

How would you like to work up there?

I still think someone should build a ramp to jump the gap across this bridge.

Hoover Dam Holding Back a Little Water

We reach Las Vegas by nightfall.

Our room on the 24th floor is on the top of the hotel tower and was next door to the presidential suite. Nice!

We go out on the town to have some fun. We are in bed by 1 AM since we need to cross Death Valley tomorrow morning.