View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 274
7/24 Day 1 of the TAT: Trinidad, CO to Salida, CO aprox. 250 miles

Well, since I can't write "manly" enough, I might as well embrace it.
Today was our first day of the TAT and I was super excited! And nervous.
It was an easy morning and a beautiful ride.
I've never seen such nice dirt roads - so big and flat and wide. Matt's teaching me to ride and all I ever see are rocks, gravel and torn-up hills. These roads are lovely.

the first of many cow butts

We got to La Veta by 8:30am and topped up

It was a great day. After Death Valley, 90 degrees felt cool and the riding was so easy. The San Isabel Nat'l Forest is gorgeous. Saw lots of cute cottontail bunnies and didn't run any over. Had lunch at West Cliffe.
Hwy 69 was kind of boring (too bad, with that name) but things got better after Cotopaxi.

We met our first (and pretty much, only) fellow TATers on the road to Salida. Paul, Julian and Andrew - sorry, no pics and didn't catch their ADV names - from NY and San Diego. Hi Guys! Can't wait to see your RR.

Salida is a neat little town.

We had pizza and beer at Amica's. The michelangelo was pretty tasty, but Matt was coveting our neighbor's calzone.

This Super 8 was our most expensive motel of the trip. At least they had hot tubs and a pool. This no-camping-gear thing is working out!

Previous RRs made me really anxious about the 2nd day of the trail - the dreaded Hancock Pass!! Even worse, it was my idea to skip the dual sport by-passes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote