View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 326
7/25 Day 2 of the TAT: Salida, CO to Lake City, CO aprox. 170 miles
Hancock and Tomichi Passes.

It was a chilly, rainy morning but anticipation kept us warm.

Cascade Falls

the ubiquitous falling-down-mining-ruin shot. I was surprised that this was so early in the trail.

the Hancock Pass welcome mat. This photo is blurry because we hit a big rock as I clicked the shutter, but I like how it shows the crap you have to go through before you can get on the trail.

Going up to Hancock Pass

I tried to take pictures of the difficult sections...I think I managed to get snapshots of most of them. Honestly, I was waiting for things to get worse, but they never did.

Looking over at Tomichi Pass

Tomichi Pass

Looking back at Hancock Pass

Note the super crappy GPS - this glorified compass would come back to haunt us again and again...

A moose! Not a great photo - he was walking towards us when a jeep came by and scared him back into the trees.

The clouds were threatening to dump as we sped towards Lake City.
Amazingly, we got there just before it really came down (can't remember the exact time - 2:30 ish. pretty early).
We got our bags off the bike just before the downpour.

After it cleared up, we had a nice dinner here. The young waitress was so sweet and funny. She recommended the ice cream place for dessert (good call).

The ice cream place - San Juan Soda Co. Handmade ice cream. The mint chip is delicious!

This was one of our best days of the trip. I LOVED Hancock and Tomichi passes - the scenery was breathtaking and the riding was really fun. Matt did so well - no get offs, no problems at all. I think he only dabbed once or twice.
But don't worry - we got ours later down the TAT!

BigWan screwed with this post 08-08-2009 at 08:17 PM
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote