Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Craik-Patton House, an outstanding example of American Greek Revival architecture, was built near the Kanawha River by James Craik in 1834. Known then as "Elm Grove," the house has been carefully restored and authentically furnished by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of West Virginia. Today the house reflects much of the history of southern West Virginia.
Between 1834 and 1846, "Elm Grove" was home to James Craik and Juliet Shrewsbury Craik and their seven children. In 1858, George Smith Patton and his family purchased the home for $2,900 from Isaac Reed who resided there during the 1850s.
James Craik came as a young man to the Kanawha Valley, having inherited land near Charleston from his grandfather, Dr. James Craik, personal physician and close friend of George Washington. Mr. Craik began his career as a lawyer and a farmer, and later became the fourth rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Charleston. Following a call to Christ Church in Louisville, he moved his growing family to Kentucky, where he built a home he called "Kanawha."
Colonel George Smith Patton organized and led the Kanawha Riflemen, which became part of the 22nd Virginia Infantry in the Confederate Army. He was wounded in action and died at the 3rd Battle of Winchester, Virginia, in 1864. His widow and children moved to California shortly before the end of the Civil War. Colonel Patton was grandfather to General George S. Patton of World War II fame.
Originally located on Virginia Street, the Craik-Patton House was moved to Lee Street in the early twentieth century. In the 1970s, as part of the nation's Bicentennial celebration, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of West Virginia acquired the house and moved it to Daniel Boone Park.
The Craik-Patton House, once slated for demolition, has been carefully reconstructed in a serene riverside setting appropriate to its original location and is furnished to reflect the life and history of its early owners. Visitors to the Craik-Patton House may tour the house, well house, herb and boxwood gardens. The House is located adjacent to Daniel Boone Park on Kanawha Boulevard East which offers picnic facilities, boating, fishing, and a beautiful view of the Kanawha River.
For more information:
PO Box 175
Charleston, WV 25321
Right side data ends here