View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #777
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Battle of Clark's House

Rt. 19, Mercer County

Battle description:here (Scroll down about halfway to paragraph starting "on the last day of April")

Additional description of battle: here
(along with a brief statement regarding Camp Jones)

Copperheads Roster: here

Additional information on Ruth Clark:
Ruth Mize was born 9 Feb 1808 on Tuesday in Franklin Co. Va.. She died 9 Oct 1878 on Wednesday in Mercer Co. WV.
She was married to Henry Clark (son of Jesse Clark and Lucy Jane Pedigo) 17 Mar 1825 on Thursday in Patrick Co. VA.. Henry Clark was born about 1806 in Patrick Co. VA.. He died about 1882 in Mercer Co. WV. He was buried. We have not been able to find when Henry died. Bob DID fine the graves of Henry and Ruth in their family cemetery in Camp Creek. It is called the Clark Cemetery. They have home made markers and are side by side. Henry lived with John until he died sometime after 1880. John is also buried there.
Henry and Ruth ran the Clark's Inn at Camp Creek in the 1800's. Henry seems to have been a man who was always ready to make a dime, and was quiet good at it.
There was a famous Civil War battle fought at the home of Henry and Ruth and is written in books that can be found in the local Library's. Ruth refused to leave her home when the North came and took over her house. She stayed inside with some of her small children and the Northern Troops. The next morning a battle was fought between Cox's Army and the Flat Top Copperheads, captained by the famous Richard Foley.
One can only guess at what Ruth had to say to the Union Troop's. She had to be a very brave lady to stay and face the Union Troop's without Henry there to back her up. I am sure that they were more than happy to depart her home the next morning, and the fight with Richard Foley and his Copperheads had to be mild to what she had put them through. She is a lady to be admired by all of her descendants, men and women. She is also a good example for our young girls today. I can't help but wonder how many of us would be as brave ? I have also wondered where Henry was that Ruth was in the home alone except for her small children ? Could he have gone into the nearby mountains to warn Capt. Richard Foley ? It is very likely that he did and was unable to get back, or he could have fought with the Copperheads. When the State of West Virginia tore down and burned the Clark home to make a new road, Josiah Carl Clark says there were balls still in bedded it the logs from the battle fought there in 1862. It would have been nice if the State could or Would have saved the home as an Historical building. Maybe too, I only wish for this because they were my great great grandparents.
Henry and Ruth came to this area in 1842 according to their son, Henry, Jr. They first bought property in Wyoming Co. Virginia, then sometime before 1860 they sold that to a William Clark ( don't know what relation, but am sure there is one) and bought the property in Camp Creek where they lived out their lives. Henry gave the property to their son John and lived there with him until he died sometime before 1890.

Ruth Clark info extracted from here

There was a lot more to this story than what you'd get from the sign alone!

Wolf

Some Mook screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 06:25 PM
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote