View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #791
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow
Some Mook's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Jumping Branch, WV
Oddometer: 253
Mitchell Clay

Rt 19 / Rt 10

(it was a little wet this morning on the ride in to work)

Viewed facing north:

Viewed facing south:

Why I almost missed it heading south:

(should have brought hedge clippers with me)


An old carnival chair ride with a ferris wheel in the background, all grown over. Kinda creepy looking.

"The Beckley Post-Herald in its issues of Aug. 29 carried a picture of a sculptured subject entitled a `Torment in Stone.' This bit of sculpture is placed on the Mercer County Courthouse grounds at Princeton.
"It represents Mitchell Clay and his wife, Phoebe, in a moment of agony over the massacre of members of their family in 1783. The article accompanying the picture of the native sandstone sculpture figure states that the Mitchell Clay family were `the first white settlers in what is now Mercer County.'
"This is an error because Andrew Culbertson's settlement on Culbertson's Bottom was made 20 years prior to that of Mitchell Clay on Clover Bottom. When Andrew Culbertson settled on Culbertson's Bottom that land was then in the Mercer County limits of today. Now far a word about the Shawnee Indian attack on the Mitchell Clay family which is memorialized in the stone figures at Princeton.
"MITCHELL CLAY had settled his family on Clover Bottom - now the Shawnee Lake section of Mercer County in 1775. Clay had a considerable tract of land there on the waters of the Bluestone River, about 800 square acres.
"All went well with the Clay family until August, 1783. Where the Clay home stood was off the line the Indians traveled. In the month of August, Mitchell Clay had harvested his crop of small grain, and wanting to get the benefit of the pasture for his cattle off the ground on which his grain crop had grown, he asked two of his sons, Bartley and Ezekiel, to build a fence around the stacks of grain, while he went in search of game to fill the family larder.
"WHILE Mitchell Clay was out hunting the two sons were building fence pens around the grain stacks. The older daughter in the family, with some of the younger girls, was down on the riverbank putting out the family washing. While this was in progress a marauding body of eleven Indians crept up to the edge of the field and shot young Bartley Clay dead.
"When the girls down by the riverside heard the shot that killed their brother they lit out for the house for safety. Their path to the house was directly by where Bartley had fallen. An Indian was attempting to scalp the youth and at the same time capture the older girl, Tabitha Clay. She was trying to defend the body of her dead brother and prevent the Indian from scalping him.
"In the struggle the girl reached for the butcher knife which hung in the Indian's belt. Missing the butcher knife as she reached for it, the Indian literally cut her to pieces before killing her. Several times Tabitha Clay wrung the butcher knife form the Indian's hand and threw it to the ground but each time the savage recovered it and used it to slay the strong pioneer girl.
"EZEKIEL CLAY, about 16, was captured by another Indian as the smaller girls in the washing party scurried to the Clay house which stood on a high knoll a little distance from the river on the Princeton side.
"For years the field rock chimney of the Clay house stood after the house was gone.
"About the time of the Indian attack a man named Liggon Blankenship called at the Clay cabin. When Mrs. Clay saw her daughter Tabitha in the death struggle with the Indian she begged Blankenship to go and shoot the savage and save her daughter's life. But Blankenship ran away from the scene and reported to settlers on New River that the Clay family had been murdered by the Indians.
"WHEN THE savages got the scalps of Bartley and Tabitha Clay they left the area with Ezekiel Clay as their prisoner. Mrs. Clay took the bodies of Bartley and Tabitha to the house and laid them down on the bed. She then took her small children and made her way through the woods to the home of James Bailey, six miles distance.
"Meanwhile Mitchell Clay, on the chase had wounded a deer and followed it until it was almost dark. Then he retraced his steps homeward and discovered the scene of horror in his cabin. Thinking all his family had been killed or captured, Mitchell Clay left his cabin and headed for the settlements on New River.
"A party of men under the leadership of Capt. Matthew Farley went to the Clay cabin and buried the two the Indians had killed. They then pursued the Indian party. They caught up with the Indians in present day Boone County. Several of the Indians were killed. "Charles Clay, brother of the two murdered Clay children, killed one of the Indians who had been wounded. Charles Clay killed the Indian who begged not to be shot. Ezekiel Clay, the captive lad, was hurried away by the Indians who escaped the Capt. Matthew Farley party and was taken to their towns in Ohio. There he was burned at the stake, the third of the Mitchell Clay's family to meet an untimely death at the hands of savages."

Above article copied from here

Also see intothenew's tag challenge tag

and tallbob's capture
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." (Not My Site)


Some Mook screwed with this post 08-22-2009 at 01:13 PM
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote