View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #810
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,947
Aug 28/29 Itinerary - Charleston

OK, ladies and gentlemen, here is the 1st draft of an itinerary for this weekend. I'm open to suggestions, but I'd like to have it finalized by Wednesday at noon. The tour time and photo time are set - Mr Geiger is driving in from Huntington to be our host.

Here goes:

Friday Aug 28 -

Noon to ????? Check in at Kanawha State Forest Campgrounds. Look for a group of bikes (duhhh) or my "PNOMAN" sign that I'll post if we're out marker hunting. Paul (the campground manager) said we could go 2 tents per site.

4 pm - Let's ride! From the campground, we'll pick a loop south, maybe around Logan or anywhere interesting. Plan on 2hrs.

6:30 pm - Depart from the Campground for dinner somewhere around Charleston. Ask around for BBQ or good road-food joint. We'll come back to the campground after dinner and see who can tell the biggest lies .

Saturday Aug 29 -

8:30 am - Depart campground for breakfast. (May not have time to return before tour and photos).

8:45 am - 9:45 Breakfast at Tudors (sp?) Biscuit World. Located off I-64 [EDIT: Exit 100 - Broad St south to Quarrier St]

10:00 am - Tour Starts (Please try to be there a few minutes early). WV Culture Center Museum. Off I-64 Exit 99, go to first light (Washington Ave) and turn LEFT (East) into parking area for Capitol Complex. Turn RIGHT at the guard shack and park by the Culture Center. Walk around front and meet inside the entrance in the "Great Hall". Mr Geiger is going to give us a personal tour of the Museum. This should take about 60-90 minutes, then allows a few minutes for potty stops before photos.

11:45 am. Depart Museum for Capitol. For those just arriving for the photos, take I-64 Exit 99, go all the way south to Kanawha Blvd (about 1/2 mile) then turn left. It's the big building with the big gold dome on top .

12:00 Noon - Meet on the south Capitol Steps (facing Kanawha Blvd and the Kanawha River). We will line the bikes up along the bottom step for the big photo shot. After that, we will walk over to the Historical Marker across the street for a group photo (without bikes - not enough room).

I have a few things planned (awards) before we head out to lunch. We'll plan on riding out somewhere for lunch (again, I'm open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the Charleston area). After lunch, it' s homeward bound (unless any of you all plan activities on your own).

Again, this is the first draft, Version 1.0.0.0 Stay tuned for "improvements".

RATHER THAN POST INFORMATION IN TWO PLACES, LET'S POST ALL NOTES ABOUT THIS WEEKEND'S GATHERING ON THE "CALLING ALL WV MARKERS RIDERS...." THREAD. THANKS!

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 04:09 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote