View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #103
johngil OP
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,679
Joel, I really appreciate your input and it would stand up as truth in a court of law. I'm sure the engineering works out to a gnat's ass and combines function and economics that will serve 99.6% of the riders out there in the real world.

My personal uneducated opinion is that the design sucks. For the intended (advertised and otherwise) use of the bike it is a stretch. This bike is aimed at a market that includes or even targets the 950/990 KTM's.
If you are a dealer, which is what I gather, then it would not benefit you in any way to say anything other than this is a great design.
I have come to the adventure bike/riding world straight from racing desert in southern California and doing so on KTM's. I have never in over 100 desert races bent or mutilated a structural member of my race bikes, ever.
I'm not looking for BMW to wipe my ass. I do think they went out on a limb w/ this design. I have not hidden a thing from my dealer or BMW. We will see how this plays out.

I have never crashed this bike or even bent a rim.
I am not the guy who wins raffles or could score some $$$ on a lottery ticket. What ever happens is what it is.

Most owners of these bikes would never know there was a bent bolt or frame to begin with. That isn't a knock, just the truth.

Whether my frame is replaced by BMW or I run it through my insurance, I don't trust this design. I will check the bolt after every off road ride.
If I have to fabricate a fix on my own, I will check it once or twice and forget about it.

Something is not right here.

johngil screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 08:09 AM
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote