View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
Now who would that be?

While headed out to West Fest about 3 weeks ago my F800 detonated the rear wheel bearing @ about 70 mph on hwy 160 near Laveta pass Co.

This destroyed the hub, rotor, rotor carrier, abs sensor and the swing arm I very nearly face planted trying to controll the bike.
I had just finished 30 miles of dirt with no indication of an issue. Just having fun sliding around a little here and there. Got to the pavement and was accelerating through the first left hand sweeper when I heard the noise, and then came the death wobble. I don't know how fast I was going. Like you I had a bit of anxiety (and not just to see what it felt like) getting the bike to a controlled stop. Fortunately, I do not appear to have any damage other than the bearing. Hopefully I can get it together before someone makes off with the bike.

Glad to hear that you are OK, and that the dealer is taking care of you.

FWIW, this is the first time I have ever lost a wheel bearing in more than 20 years of riding - a lot. I am chalking it up to "shit happens". I can see that if a failure like this occurred when you were cooking along on the tarmac at 90mph+ or on some graded gravel at 70+ that you would pretty much be toast. The bike truly was marginally controllable, and I was nowhere near those speeds.

Maybe this will slow me down a bit. Not.

Best,
Dennis