View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
CD Ride Day 8

8/25/09 – Day 8 Steamboat Springs to Salida, Co. 249 Miles
Got up and checked the radar, 40% chance today but looked like I might be able to miss the rain as it was just moving out of my intended path to Salida.
Morning was very nice and the sun came out for a beautiful sun rise over the mountains in Colorado.

Roads were much more technical today and the average speed was way down as was the total mileage. But great roads and good to have a little more difficulty too. Biggest problem was “BOVINE”.seems they had camped out on the roads this morning and would take some careful negotiation to get around them.

After an hour or so I came to my first of two water crossings of the day, this one was deep. Water was over the header of the engine and I noticed the change in the exhaust note as it covered the header. Made it through ok and was on my way again.

Roads became much more technical now with steep ascents and descents along with ruts from when ranchers had traversed them when wet. Had to really stay on my game as they were very narrow over the mountain and going off the side would end my trip for sure.

Got into Breckenridge, CO. mid morning and the views were magnificent! Got up over 11.5K In altitude as well.

Came across this old railroad water tower from the 1800’s on my way over the mountain.

Then the roads turned into fast gravel and I pushed to make time. Great fun again of course as I negotiated them.
Ran across more mountain bikers on my way into Salida and the roads narrowed and became very steep with constant tight switch backs coming down the mountain into Salida. I stopped by "Fat Tees" but they were closed for three days....no T Shirt I guess.

Got a room at the trusty Circle R motel, some good Mexican and did necessary maintenance on the bike.
Tomorrow I might be able to hit New Mexico but will be a very long day if I do.

More as it happens.

10Cup screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 07:58 AM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote