View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #89
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
While we're on that subject....

When I recently did a rear tire change I torqued the rear axel nut to the F8 OM recommended value: 100Nm. I just checked the chain tension using my tool roll kit. With my ratchet wrench and 24mm socket I could *not* budge that nut. I ended up using my breaker bar to start it.

So, my question is, how would you handle this in the field with a standard ratchet or wrench as YetGS has? (Carrying a 2ft breaker bar seems like overkill.) Was I foolish to believe the MOM torque value? Should I torque the nut down to Guten-nuff standards and leave it at that?

Then again I could be overthinking the whole thing.
I had this exact problem on my XR650R once. (It didn't have a cotter pin either fwiw.) I stuck one of my tire irons through the wrench hole in the other end and used it as a breaker bar and stepped on it with my boot. No worries.

I have also used a rock as a hammer to beat on the end of a wrench to break a nut loose. My "friends" later said I should have used my head and we would have been done much more quickly.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote